This Isn't Paradise.

I woke up in my messy room

I woke up in my messy room. Strange. It must've been a dream. I sat up from my bed to get ready to go to the shower but I noticed that my arms and legs were chained from one side to the other. My clothes were what looked like tunic clothes from the medieval eras. If this is a prank, They're taking it too far! I'm definitely reporting them. As I opened the door, what stood before me was unexpected. My door led to a field where there were small flames in some parts of it with a grey sky. In front of me were other people who I don't know. Some of them had blonde hair and some had red. It seems like people from around the world come here too. I may be wrong, but is this Paradise? In the distance, I could see a cloud in the shape of an angelic being, waving around its arms as it struck the harp-shaped cloud. A soothing sound came out from the skies that made me feel safe and welcomed. I think it is time for me to go then.

I walked out my door, going into the fields to join the rest. I turned behind to look at my room for the last time only for it to close and disappear. Is that the power of God? I began to question myself and my belief in the existence of an afterlife and the most divine being. I began walking in the direction that my fellow soul people were walking towards as well. As I questioned myself, I recall that Paradise was filled with angels and clouds with a bright sky. In contrast to this, it was way different.

After walking for 10 minutes while observing my surroundings, I finally got out of my groggy state and took in the beauty of this place. I was amazed by how comfortable it felt even though we walked on top of dead grass and wheat on our bare feet. However, I'm getting sick of these chains... Maybe I should break it. Maybe I should follow what those action movies taught me. Find two rocks and smash the chain in between. Now I just have to find the rocks.

Then again, where in this field can I get rocks? It's just grass! There must be some rocks in this field right? I stopped my trek and started looking around for decent sized rocks. As I walked, I bumped into someone's head and fell to the ground. I rubbed my head as I sat back up. She did the same thing.

"I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" I asked.

"No it's okay. I wasn't looking at where I was going." She replied.

"Oh, you're Japanese! Finally someone who's not blonde or brunette." I added.

"Likewise. Since we're both Japanese, let's get to know each other." She suggested.

"Sure. My name is Miyuki Hana. What's yours?" I asked.

"My name is Suzuki Kobayashi. Nice to meet you..." She replied.

She dragged that last word so I knew something was up.

"Anything wrong?" I asked.

"Oh! Nothing! I just thought your name sounded familiar..." She replied and dragged her last words again.

"I could say the same actually. What happened to you?" I asked.

"Ugh... I got hit by a truck and I think I died. I mean, where else would this be? Looks like the afterlife to me." Kobayashi replied.

"What a coincidence! We're both Japanese, and we both died to a truck. Tragic but I'm happy I wasn't the only one." I said.

"Yeah... Not as painful as I thought it'd be. I guess the truck ended us immediately. Weird how it was going that fast to kill us instantly. I mean, I was on a busy street after playing at the arcade! I guess that truck was moving fast enough to actually kill me instantly... or maybe I'm just delusional." Kobayashi explained.

"That's a shame. I bet you were having fun as well." I said.

"Don't worry, I think I'd be better off dead anyway, BAHAHA" Kobayashi replied.

"Hey! Don't say that. Let's just be grateful for the lives we lived and move on. It's going to be even sadder for those who are alive." I said.

"Eheh. Sorry. I did have fun at the arcade though. Got a new high score! What about you? Where were you when you died?" Kobayashi asked.

"How do I explain this... A popular classmate of mine forced me into joining him and his friends for a karaoke party. Then a maid came in the room and served us drinks. I got tired and just left and got hit by a truck when I stepped out." I explained.

"Weird. A maid served me drinks too." Kobayashi added.

We both looked at each other with worried expressions.

"What if this isn't Paradise..." I said.

"What?" Kobayashi asked.

"I thought this is where we meet God. There's flames in the field and all you ever see is blondes and brunettes. Is this really where everyone goes?" I asked.

"You're right..." Kobayashi replied.

Then in the distance, I could hear roaring and screaming.

꧁☬༒☬꧂
-Dictionary Assistance-

Tunic Clothes -  A medieval-era clothing that less fortunate people used.

Example: