Chapter 1

Sometimes when the fate of the world isn't facing the end and it's just a quiet day at the Library, Flynn will find himself sitting in front of Judson's mirror and look at his reflection. He'll look at the magic mirror that for five years held the spirit of his mentor, someone he saw as a father figure. A man who made this whole adventure of excitement and loneliness, more real. Every great achievement, the moments of doubt, and stumbling into becoming the Librarian that he is today was all thanks to Judson and Charlene. Two people that he misses every day. A part of him had hoped once he and Eve had tethered themselves to the Library, there might be a chance for him to meet the two people he considered to be family, but so far he hasn't.

Some days he swears he'll see their reflections in the mirror, watching him as he and his team save the world. Sometimes twice before Friday.

Today was not one of those days. Today he and everyone were rushing around, trying to figure out why the globe used to connect their magic door suddenly decided to attach itself to the mirror while the clipping book kept opening and closing itself. Even the entire Library seemed to be in a disarray as lights flashed, books flew from shelves and for some reason, Excalibur was whimpering by his side the entire time.

"Jenkins? Anyone?! Please tell me we have something!" Eve Baird cried out as she and Jacob Stone did their best to hold down the clipping book. They could see articles were appearing, but the book was closing too fast and resetting itself before they could even make out the wording.

The caretaker of the Library let out a cry of his own, but he was more of anger and frustration as he was shocked once again. "I wish I could Colonel Baird, but this infernal thing refuses to cooperate." Both he and Ezekiel were trying their best to reset the globe, but it would just shock the two of them whenever they would mess with the wires or even try to unplug it.

"It's like this stupid thing has a mind of its own," Ezekiel yelled, backing away as the globe started to unleash more sparks.

Cassandra came to stand beside Jenkins, handing him the book he had asked her to fetch. "Well, in a way it does. It runs on its own charge, a magical one too so in a way it really does have a mind of its own. You see when the magic and electric charges meet, they-!"

"Not now!" Everyone screamed, reminding her that now was so not the time for a lesson. They had to focus on fixing things before something worse happens.

While everyone was running around, screaming at each other to express their ideas, frustrations, and concerns, Flynn was standing perfectly still. Watching the mirror. His gaze stayed firmly on the glass.

"Flynn!" Eve yelled, coming up to stand next to her partner and Librarian. A frown etched onto her face when she saw that he was still standing in the exact same spot that he's been in for the last forty minutes, right around the time when this whole mess started. "How about a little help here." She threw out her arms, showing off the multiple crises that they were dealing with.

A small hum of acknowledgment was all that she got from him.

She was so not in the mood for this and didn't feel an ounce of guilt as she punched him in the arm. His screams of pain put a smile on her face. The first one she's had since this crazy matter started. "What was that for?" he asked, holding his now aching arm but when he saw the exasperated look on her face, he realized his question was rather redundant. "Okay, I get it and I'm sorry but take a look at this." He pulled her to stand right by his side and pointed at the mirror.

Allowing herself to be pulled along, she did as he asked and looked but all she saw was what they'd all been looking at all day. "What? It's just the magic globe suddenly having a strange attraction to the mirror that is making the Library act wonky."