Thirteen

In the beginning of the world there was only blackness.

The darkness covered everything, which was to say nothing since nothing was there. After many centuries the darkness grew bored and separated into six parts: Desire, greediness, overconfidence, jealousy, procrastination, and cruelty. These six parts then turned over into counterparts: happiness, selflessness, modesty, love, eagerness, and sympathy. These 12 parts were called the gems of life. Born from these parts came many strange and wonderful creatures; desire went to the cats, greediness was bestowed on monkeys, jealousy was given to pigs, overconfidence to wolves, procrastination to sloths, and cruelty to tigers. The counterparts were also bestowed among different creatures; happiness to birds, selflessness to dolphins, modesty to deer, love to rabbits, eagerness to dogs, and sympathy to whales. For a time these animals grew and prospered and formed different species such as fish, bugs, and lions, but soon these animals grew bored as well and the 12 parts were not pleased with this boredom. The gems of life decided to form together to create an ultimate being and while doing so they created another part, intellect. And from these 13 gems of life, the human was born.