Chapter 22

[A/N: I replaced the Y/N to Rurik Zakheav, why not-]

Saudi Arabia, Outskirt of Jeddah

The dried wind of the desert blew hard against a squadron of mixed rotorcraft ranging from the old Soviet rotorcraft series, the "Mikhail Mil" or Mil Mi for short, to the American made Bell UH-1N Twin Huey. Although the Huey utility rotorcraft were severely limited due to a lack of parts, it could still be used for temporary operation until it broke down.

Rurik Zakheav sat against the reddish-brown chair in the rear of the hovering gunship, the Mil Mi-24, with his back resting on the backrest like the others around him. Between his legs was a Soviet AEK-971 assault rifle, which can fire 5.45x39mm rounds, was manufactured in the 1980s. It is also lighter than an AN-94 assault rifle. The naval infantry and interior forces in during the 1st Chechen war have proved this weapon a success.

"Гавно, this is gonna be a long trip." Rurik groaned in a soft manner, cursing out in his sentence in Russian.

The young soldier sat upright in the padded chair, pulling the barrel of his Aek-971 to his lap, and looking out the window, he observed several Mi-17 and Mi-8 aircraft hovering collectively approaching the target as well as another Mi-24 hind. The goal at hand is to take over a city that is still home to some Saudi Arabian army units. The high command has anticipated that when OPFOR enters the city's airspace, these forces will attack them fiercely.

To seize the entire city, he estimated that this operation would take a week or even a few months. Additionally, keep in mind that once they enter the combat area, casualties will start to mount.

"Cheer up, my friend. Those fuckers don't know what hit them!" A chuckle generated from his Arabian friend, lightly elbow Rurik's arm in the process.

"Hopefully, I don't want a fucking stinger just slap right into our face." Rurik replied.

Shrieks pierced the skies muffling the synchrony of chopping rotor-blade emitted by each helicopter. Six Mig-21 fighter planes zoom streak through the atmosphere, whizzing past the helicopter battle group.

Although it was loud, most soldiers inside the helicopter could only hear a muffled shriek; the captured Huey helicopter was no exception. The shriek of the jets pierced their ears as it plunged into the skies, intent on reaching its destination.

Rurik turned back to look out the window, After a brief fit of laughter not too long ago. An OpFor's Mil Mi-8 utility helicopter was struck by a blazing orange streak that was trailing smoke. All crew members and soldiers alike are startled once both the airframe and the soldiers are reduced to nothing more than steel and flesh tumbling back to Earth.

"By Allah!" His comrade Fawzi spoke up shocked upon seeing the chopper being shot out of the sky by an anti-aircraft missile.

He and the others felt a mild jerk, the Mil mi-17 Rurik was in flew off from the main formation along with the others. Another wave of anti-air guided missile burst out from the clouds sending further destruction of the combat helicopter group.

It was fortunate enough that surviving combat group deployed flares right before the missile could reach their intended target, but not most of them survive, several guided missile slammed against unfortunate helicopters turning them into scrap metal mixed with charred limbs.

"Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck!" Fawzi repeated yelled, spotting a stray guided missile narrowly whizzed past of the moving helicopter.

As the helicopter tried to maneuver to avoid being hit by a guided missile, Rurik gripped the steel pole next to him. The 8th Combat Group's remaining forces emerged from the white clouds at a low altitude, at which point they were able to discern the city's outline on the horizon.

The previous Mig-21s pass by them without stopping once more, leaving the group on its own to cope with the enemy units below.

Hind gunships swoop in first, unleashing waves of unguided rockets and 12.7mm gatling guns on the enemy ranks, creating havoc and chaos.

Several soldiers were dropped into the city by ramps that fell from utility helicopters as they touched down on the road.

The last person to exit the chopper, Rurik, turned to look at the Mil Mi-17 helicopter gently gaining altitude as it departed the city with its fellow brethren.

He rapidly retreated from the main route and took cover without harm. Unlucky soldiers near the stone route were mercilessly killed by enemy hailstorm of gunfire.

"Return fire!"

Rurik He raised his Aek-971 assault rifle and fired toward the hostile position with leads, forcing them to hid back under the covers.

Immediately after one of the allies fired a 40mm frag round from their RPG-7, there was a loud explosion that reduced the enemy position to buts of cloth and flesh.

Rurik is currently witnessing the genuine horrors of war. His body begins to pump adrenaline throughout while his heart continues to pound nonstop. A stream of gunshots fired by surviving soldiers zipped past him as he peered over the stone pillar, scattering small pieces of concrete and dust in his vicinity, resulting for the young soldier to jolt back.

He had sympathy for the adversary for whatever reason. He probably assumed that the majority of the soldiers in their rank are inexperienced rookies. But it doesn't matter to him; he needs to help his fellow units win this battle.

An OpFor Mil Mi-24 gunship flew overhead, sending 12.7mm gatling guns into hostile positions. Dust and blood sprayed everywhere as muffled screams of excruciating pain could be heard in the background.

It wasn't until a rocket from the east struck the gunship's side armor that it began to spin about and drop into a blazing disaster, spewing steel fragments everywhere that numerous friendly forces were injured or killed.

"Allah Akbar! Help the injured!" Rurik rushes over to a soldier who is nearby and wailing in anguish as his platoon leader yells in authority. The young soldier knelt down to the wounded man's level, yanked the vest, and then started dragging the wounded to safety despite the fact that their uniform was stained with fresh blood and some limbs that were severed.

"You're going to be alright, just hang on!" He yelled and pulled some bandages and medical tweezers from his bag. The soldier's battle dress was unbuttoned, showing a nasty wound on the left side of the abdomen.

He bit his lip, carefully removed the shrapnel from the soldier's stomach after hearing him start to pray in Arabic. He quickly tied the white bandages tightly over the wound to stop it from leaking after hearing grunts as he pulled it out.

"Fawzi, you good?!" He called out his friend across the road.

"Yeah! Those nasty fuckers almost killed me!" Fawzi replied with an annoyed look, having a venomous tone clearly signifies his hate towards the enemy.

Every area of the city was filled with the sound of gunfire and explosions. The government forces were unaware that they would be up against thousands of well-armed insurgents headed their way when the OpFor launched their initial wave.