Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Parker quickly shuts the door, and pulls the chain to turn the light on. I can hear those things crashing around below, destroying my home. We all remained silent, except for the sound of out shallow breathing. I could hear them slowly making their way upstairs, and begin moving around. After what felt like hours of waiting, they finally went back down. Olive volunteered to peek his head out, and he caught them breaking down the door and escaping into our sleepy little town. Olive went down, and checked all the rooms, making sure none of them were left. We all climbed back out, and saw the chaos they left behind. Furniture was scratched, torn, and even broken into pieces. I ran into my room, and was relieved to see the framed picture still intact. I took it out of it's frame and folded it up into my pocket before returning. By then, Olive and Parker were already rambling to themselves like before.

"What the hell do you plan to do now?"

"If they're out and about, we can head to my bunker in the forest behind the house. There I can set up beds and food while you four find any people you can."

"What? Are you crazy??"

"Don't worry, you can go out and search during the day, those things don't dare go out in the sun, or risk being blinded."

"Blinded?? What are you on about now?"

"I'll elaborate more when we're safely in the bunker."

"Sure, whatever."

They then turn to face us, giving us uncertain glances.

"Alright children, we're gonna head out into the forest. There's a bunker out there. We'll be safe for the night, then we can go out during the day and look for any survivors, as I'm sure those abominations will be drawn to the town." Olive said sternly, beginning to lead us outside.

"But what if they follow us?" I ask him, concerned.

"Just run. Run as fast as you possibly can. They may be fast, but their eyesight is pretty bad, and will more than likely lose you if you run far enough." Olive replies.

I simply nod in response, and we head out.

We stick close to the walls of the house, and we see them stumbling around, trying to get a feel of where they are. As we get closer to the back wall, I hear Nate step on a dry leaf, and it makes a resounding crunch. The nearest creature turns it's head, and begins to run towards our general location. We all bolt towards the forest, Olive and Parker ahead of us to lead the way.

We ran into the woods, trying to get that emaciated thing away from us, but no matter what, it kept pursuing us. We ran side by side, and kept going with all our might. It was like we were the first prey it's had in weeks, and it wasn't letting us go so easily.  We kept running, but slowly it got closer and closer, until I thought of something.

"Guys!" I shouted, trying to get their attention.

"What?" They both shouted back at the same time.

"Split up!" I yell back, running as fast as I could.

"What? Are you crazy?" Nathaniel looked at me with a look of shock and confusion.

"Trust me!" I yell at him, and he gives me a slight nod. He takes off, and so does Evie, leaving me alone.

The beast stops in it's tracks, trying to decide who to go after, and it gives me just enough time to hide in a bush.

The thing simply wanders, and I realize how bad it's eyesight really is. It stumbles into various trees nearby, eventually becoming infuriated, and slashing away at the trees. I slowly and silently crawl out of the bush and behind a farther away tree.