𝔻𝖊𝖊𝖕 ᵈⁱᵛᵉ (backstory)

disclaimer !!      i  am  not  hispanic,  i  am  simply  trying  to  include  representation  within  the  fandom.  ive  googled  and  researched  some  things  so  i  didn't  mistake  anything  but  i'm  not  perfect!   and  there  might  be  mistakes,   so  if  you personally  feel  hurt  or  offended  by  anything  in  this  chapter,    please  let  me  know!   
trigger  warning!!    racism,   slurs  towards  the  lgbtq+  community  (i  can  reclaim,   im  pansexual)  and  bullying.

the  eighties  weren't   that  accepting  of  those  different  than  the  archetypal  male  and  female  they'd  crafted  over  the  years

the  eighties  weren't   that  accepting  of  those  different  than  the  archetypal  male  and  female  they'd  crafted  over  the  years.   and  tommy  hagan  knew  that,     had  been  told  from  his  parents  from  such a   young  age  that  people  like   him  didn't  get  many  opportunities  but  it  was  important  to  be  proud  nonetheless.    made  him  learn  how  important  it  was  to  make  a  name  for  himself  and  prove  everyone  in  hawkins,   indiana  wrong. 

so  for a   long  time,    he  was  proud.    proud  of  his  parents  speaking  of  family  traditions  and  proud  of  telling  his  friends  them.   proud  of  the  way  he  knew   two  languages  because  seriously,   how  fucking  cool  was  that?  

but  then?    then  he  realized  how  ruthless  kids  and  adults  could  be.    and  as  he  grew  up,    he  ditched  the  small  things  that  could  associate  himself  with  his  heritage.    opting  for   'tommy'  instead  of  'tomás'   because  tommy  sounded  like  the  rest  of  them.     and  he  was  able  to  do  that.   he  was  able  to  make  subtle  shifts  in  his  behavior  and  tweak  his  actions  to  fit  the  classic  small  town  white  boy.   even  when  that's  not  who  he  was.    because  he  wasn't  tommy,    tommy  wasn't   real.  and  people who could speak two languages  (no  matter  how  cool)  and  people  who  celebrated   'weird'  holidays  and  called   their  family   members   even  'weirder'  names  weren't   meant  to  be   anything  in  hawkins, indiana.

so  tommy  (still  didnt  feel  right)   made  a  name  for  himself.   he  was  popular,  he  had  a  pretty  girlfriend  who  seemed  to  like  him,  he  had  everything  his  parents  had  wanted  for  him.    everything  any  boy  would  want,   everything  people  like  him  would  kill  to  have. 

and  then  tommy  realized  he  didn't  strictly  like  girls  because  steve  fucking  harrington  existed.     which,   oh  shit,  that  so  wasn't  meant  to  happen.     he  couldn't  allow  people  to  realize  he  was  some  sort  of  queer.   most  importantly,   steve  couldn't  know  that  he  had a  very  huge  crush  on  him.   that  would  definitely   ruin  their  friendship  and  that  just  couldn't  happen.   so  he'd  ignore  the  way  his  gut  clenched  when  steve  called  jonathan  byers   a  'queer'  just  like  he'd  ignore  his   own  feelings. 

and  he'd  ignore  the  way  he  flared  with  anger  as  steve  ignored  and  forgot  him  for  fucking  nancy  wheeler  because  steve  wasn't  his.     but  god  damn  it,   why  nancy  wheeler?   why  her  of  all  people?   and  why  was   steve  so  adamant  on  keeping  her  around?   she  brought  nothing  good  for  steve  yet  the  boy  was  willing  to  toss  tommy  aside  like  it  meant  nothing;  like  their  years  of  friendship  served  no  purpose. 

so  by  the  time  that  chick  disappeared  in  steve's  pool,  tommy  had  realized  that  maybe  he  was  permanently  shunned  from  steve's  life.    and  yeah,   it  made  their  fall  out  hurt  a  little  less  but  tommy  realized  something  that  day.   realized  his  parents  were  right.   people  like  him  didn't  get  opportunities.   people  who  had  crushes  on  their  best  friends  weren't  meant  to  ever  get  them.