🍁🔎⚡

Heizou never believed in love at first sight. Not until his first day at Teyvat College.

He wanders the campus, taking in Autumn– when the leaves bleed red and orange and honey colours. Sunlight beams down, fragmented by tree branches and warm on his skin. A gust of wind takes the falling leaves and Heizou's attention forward, to the boy he hadn't even noticed.

He doesn't know it then; but this is the moment he falls in love with Kazuha.

The stranger's back is to Heizou, ponytail-tied hair floating in the breeze. The sun bathes him like some sort of heavenly being, ankle-deep in a pile of orange leaves. Standing in the middle of Autumn’s honey gold like he just belongs there. And then he turns, like he somehow knew Heizou was staring, and smiles, his eyes the prettiest shade of red as they turn to slits, his voice the softest melody as he says,

Hello.

And Heizou's so fucked he forgets how to breathe right then and there. 

🔎

On my first day at a new school where everyone already has their own situated cliques, I could’ve been a social outcast. I’d go from class to class never having any friends and condemned to never making any for the rest of my miserable college experience.

I could've. But I stepped into Teyvat College and met Autumn itself in the form of a boy. A boy who barged into my life, took my hand, and immediately introduced me to everyone he knew.

"Your friends are nice," I manage between bubbly laughter and Kazuha dragging me in every direction (he has so many friends everywhere. It’s concerning.)

Kazuha smiles. "You're nice too."

Archons, he's just so enchanting. Autumn is called Fall because everytime Kazuha smiles at me, that's what I do.

"Do you know any good spots near campus?"I ask.  Nerves spiral in my stomach.

"Mm, there's a cafe I frequent across a street.”

"Cool, cool, so- uh- I know we kinda just met but-" I screw my eyes shut and pray. "Would you want to get coffee sometime?"

I squeeze my fist so tight my nails dig into my palms. Hesitantly, I force open an eye, and Kazuha is staring. Mouth agape. Ears bright red. Beautiful.

"Oh."  Kazuha's breath sounds stolen "I– uh– can't tonight. I have a study session. . with my boyfriend. Sorry."

"Oh." I laugh and it hurts. "No problem."

🔎

You don't have to pity me. In all honesty, I should've expected it.

Kazuha is beautiful. But he's also selfless, talented and too good to be true. Of course he's already taken. 

I fit perfectly into the friend group. Kazuha and I wordlessly agree to forget about that little incident. We brush it off and say it was never anything serious.

( The lie only aches a little. )

🔎

Strangely, Kazuha's boyfriend is not part of the friend group.

"Scaramouche?" Gorou says one day. He scoffs the name out like it's trash. "Kazuha can do way better. I don't even know why they're together."

Selfishly, my mind perks up at that. After all, a college relationship can't be all that serious right?

Kokomi is quick to squander the little hope I have. "Not very nice, Gorou. You have to admit they look happier with each other than anywhere else.”