Three Cheers For Pessimism

I took my place at the table for what I believed to be the final time that night. I kicked my feet up and carelessly grabbed the bottle of now flat beer I'd previously been drinking, spilling some over the table and floor. The door eventually clicked behind me and I let out a sigh. Not of relief, no, I wasn't sure what I was feeling right now. I raised my head a little and opened my eyes. The room had been left no less than a broken battlefield after some kind of cataclysmic event. Chairs tipped, broken plates, bowls and glasses. Paintings knocked from the walls. My coffee table, laying in pieces before my ripped couch and smashed Tv. Had things honestly been building up that much? I had no idea that those people, my friends.... those people, had felt such an overwhelming urge to watch my world crumble apart. They all knew what was going to happen and they let it. My so called 'Friends', watched as everything I had spent the previous 6 to 7 years of my life building, fall apart. I'm glad at least half of them were down at the local police station, another 3 or 4 been held in various police cars. And even the few who ended up in hospital... I couldn't help wondering how she was. Even after all this, I still had enough compassion in my heart to hope she'd see this through. That she'd make the recovery, get back on track and continue. Even if that scenario is missing me...

I pushed myself away from the table with my legs and proceeded to stand. Taking one last swig of the beer before hurling the empty bottle, save the froth, at the wall. I didn't care, it would grow to be the least of my worries when the landlord came-a-knocking. I walked through the devastation and approached the window. I slid the curtain back slowly and pressed my face up against the glass, cupping my hand to my temple, helping me see what was going on in the darkness. The lights of police cars illuminated the street below, they were obviously still at it, I didn't expect anything less of them. Further sighs fogged up my window and after clearing my view for the third time I stepped back and gave myself a light slap on the face. Followed with a harder one... and eventually a punch to the nose. I dropped to the floor, my eyes twitching. I could hear the faint plops of blood hitting the laminate floor.

'Riiinnng Riiinnng' ….... 'Riiinnng Riiinnng' …....

My mind flurried throughout all the remaining party goers who were not currently tied up in another situation.... it couldn't be her could it?..... Could it?! I glanced at the door through tear glazed eyes, my hands leaving my blood stained nose to pick myself up from the floor. I stumbled across my apartment, feeling slightly dazed from my episode of self harm, did I deserve it? I wasn't even so sure anymore. Probably.... With each step I felt the regret of the things I had said..... And the things that I had done... my mind desperately trying to piece the night back together. I began to tremble with the slow onset that she couldn't possibly be the person on the other side of the door.... I reached out, hands shaking. I creaked the door open.

'Mr Alexander?' He presented a gold badge, 'You're going to have to come with me'