Chapter 3

Alice laid on the grass, frozen with shock. When she finally sat and looked up, she saw Jake staring at his empty hand. Then he looked up and across at her.

"Alice, I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me." He turned around. "I'm gonna give you a few minutes to yourself while I take Thunderhead back, then I'll show you your room."

Jake left, leaving Alice to herself. She slowly raised her hand to her cheek and when she removed it, she saw a streak of blood.

He returned a few minutes later and waited until she stood before showing her her room.

"You have room mates. If you need help ask them, I won't be far. There's a bathroom off from your room. The headmaster has some clothes for you in your room. Some of them-"

"Jake, stop. It's fine. We were angry and said and done things we didn't mean."

"No matter how angry I was or am I should not have hit you. For cryin' out loud,

I made you bleed and you're telling me it's fine."

"It's just a little scratch."

"Next time, it may not be a little scratch."

Alice shook her head and knocked on the double doors that lead to her room. The doors opened and Alice saw the girl Jake was talking to earlier.

"Hello. Are you our new room mate?"

Alice knodded.

"I can see that you two will get along fine so I'll just go." Jake started to leave when the girl reached out and grabbed his hand.

"You can't go no where. You should make sure she's settled in." She winked at Alice, which only confused her.

"Angelica." Jake warned.

"Oh, knock it off." She turned to look at Alice again and gasped. "You're bleeding."

Alice turned her head so the cut was hidden. "It's nothing."

"No, it's not." Jake said, watching her.

"It was an accident."

"One that shouldn't have happened."

"Whoa, wait a minute. Jake hit you?"

"No."

"Yes."

"It doesn't matter."

"Enough, both of you. Come inside and we'll talk this out." She grabbed both their hands and pulled them into the room, sitting beside each other on a bed.