Krishna - Part 1

Janmashtami is one such festival that is celebrated equally in North and South India. Preparations for the same start weeks in advance. Sweets and savouries are prepared including Panchamrit. Panchamrit is a mixture of five ingredients. Honey, basil leaves, cow milk, jaggery, ghee and dahi. There are regional variations in the ingredients used. Night long prayers are offered and religious mantras are sung. Celebrations of Krishna Janmashtami begin before dawn and extend all day until midnight - the exact moment of Krishna's appearance. There is also a interesting fact about the words "Krishna's appearance". Most people say that he was divine and was the incarnation of a god that's why we prefer using the words "Krishna's appearance". Mathura is one of the oldest towns of India. It holds an extremely important place from the cultural and traditional point of view. Mathura was once ruled by many great rulers but now it is only a mystery which is unsolved. The most unique feature of the Krishna janmbhoomi is that of all the places on earth, gods have chosen Mathura to be their birthplace. Mathura, the birthplace of Dwarkadhish Vasudev Shri Krishna was once ruled by Kansa. Kansa or also called Kamsa was also Krishna's uncle but was opposite of what Krishna was. Kansa's rule was the worst. Instead of being a just and honest ruler, he was unjust towards his subjects and never thought of them as equal. According to the circle of justice, the king is a shepherd supported by the army and the people are servants, subjected by justice. Justice is happiness, the well being of the world. This circle of justice was not followed by Kansa. He made his own rules which were nothing but torcher for his subjects. To end this unrighteous rule of Kansa, Krishna was born to Maiya Devaki and Vasudev. Legend has it that number eight has a special significance in Krishna's life as he was the eighth son of Devaki and was born on the eighth day of Bhadrapada. Nandotsava or Nand Utsav is the main festival celebrated in the entire Vraj region on the second day of the birth of Krishna.