Bread and Letter

The smell of freshly baked goods filled the tiny alleys from the streets not long after the sun made its first appearance in the sky. A blonde young man wearing blue shirt and a black apron opened the tiny side window of the bakery facing the narrow alleyway. He puts a soft, puffy cream bread on the sill, which it was put into a plastic bag and sealed with a cute red ribbon.

When the sound of the bicycle ringing penetrated through the air from far away, the young man forms a smile on his face un consciously.

A young blonde woman riding her bicycle on the road paved with cobblestone while singing a tune, followed the way of the alleyway and stopped at the intersection to the large busy street.

She puts her bicycle against the wall. As she peaked into the bakery through the tiny window, but her eyes met with the young man, who happened to stood there, as if he was already waiting for her.

"Good morning, Len. I have your package today!" She was surprised but still managed to greet him with a energetic voice.

"Good morning, Rin. What is my package then?"

"I have a package full of smile just for you!" Rin had her index fingers pointed to each of the cheeks, with a side of sunny smile for Len.

"Isn't that a wonderful package to start my day. Here's your bread for your day." Len laughed a little.

"Oh wow, It's cream bread! Thanks, your bake goods are so good and I couldn't stop loving them." Rin took the bread and putted it into her bag, then she took off again with a smile on her face.

Len watched her leave and waved until she disappeared from his sight. The tender smile changed to a expression with slight hint of loneliness.

"I love you..." He whispered in a voice only he can hear. His one-sided love began on the day he met her and just never received its end.

Len's day typically began before sun rise. He took out all the ingredient he prepared and rolled them out in dough, send them into ovens until the magical smell that can lured the souls escape from the kitchen. Then he will open the bakery of the freshly baked goods on the shelfs and just kept baking until the sun goes down, and repeat his day again tomorrow.

Ih his never-changing life, a mail carrier appeared in front of his of bakery one day. She bought a bread and immediately took a bite. Her expression of surprised and satisfaction, it's like every cook or baker's goal.

After that day, Rin came almost everyday to buy breads from him, and even make a contract to buy a bread before he opens the bakery everyday.

Len's life began to change a little, not knowing that a butterfly flapping its wings would turn into a tornado in the future.

He starts looking forward to see the cute mail carrier everyday. He opened the side window of the bakery just for her,  and even tied a ribbon that is the same color with her uniform for her bag of a bread.

Rin sometimes would give he a surprise, such as a box of smile like this morning or a letter with a sentence of encouragement written by her.

Then the new change slowly merged with his day, everything became static again. However, he was not as tired or numb towards his new daily life, and even wish that it can stay this way forever.

And that's when he realized he had fallen in love with Rin.

Rin said to him before, the reason she like working as a mail carrier is because she can carry people's feeling, no matter they are letters or packages, from one to another person regardless of how far they are apart from each other.

To her, it is a job full of happiness.

For Len, as a baker, baking it's his bread and butter, and life surrounding with those two things doesn't spark much passion in him.