12 - Silent Night, Bloody Night.

The sky was painted with the deepest blues, offering the stars a place to twinkle

The sky was painted with the deepest blues, offering the stars a place to twinkle. I sank into the armchair on the porch, inhaling the silence that draped over the night like a soft blanket. I replayed the earlier conversation with Alessandro, still unable to shake the unease his proximity had stirred in me. The way his gaze had held mine, breaking down every barrier I'd built, was disconcerting. The desire his hazel eyes held was unmistakable and intense. But desire was all it would ever be-nothing more. I was not something he could simply claim whenever it suited him.

Margaret's and Geoffrey's words looped in my mind, making me question everything I thought I knew about Alessandro. Were they just trying to paint him in a better light because they cared for him, or was there some truth to their words? Part of me was curious to discover the truth, while another part reminded me that I wouldn't be around long enough to find out. Regardless of what Alessandro truly was-a man or a monster-I was determined to break free from this prison. Alessandro Rossi would become a distant memory, one I hoped to forget.

The memory of his touch lingered on my skin, igniting a fire that I hated. The warmth of his hand, the way it sent heat waves through me, and the closeness of his face, with his hot breath brushing my reddened cheeks, made me tighten my legs in a futile attempt to suppress whatever twisted urge was creeping up from deep within. It was that time of the month again, which likely explained my heightened sensitivity to his presence.

Alessandro had been on the phone with Andrea for nearly half an hour. I assumed they were ironing out some details back at home, assuring everything was in place and safe. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, allowing the cool breeze to fill my lungs and clear my thoughts. Suddenly, a warmth enfolded my shoulders, breaking through my quiet reflection. Startled, my eyes popped open, only to find Alessandro carefully draping a warm blanket around me.

"Thanks," I managed to whisper out, nestling into the unexpected warmth gratefully and awkawrdly avoiding his gaze.

He joined me in the second armchair. Reclining comfortably in his seat, he fixed his eyes on the dark sky. A shared silence seeped between us. and for the first time, it wasn't awkward, nor uncomfortable. It just... was.

I eventually decided to break it. "It's funny, isn't it? We're afraid of the darkness yet mesmerized by the stars and moon. We fail to appreciate that the profound beauty of the moonlight stems from the very darkness that surrounds it," I mused aloud.

A sigh from Alessandro tugged my attention towards him. His eyes held a confusing look. I couldn't help the concern it raised within me. "What happened to you?" I couldn't help but ask. "Nobody is born evil, Alessandro. You must have known love and affection. What happened?"

"Why the sudden questions?" His retort didn't stray his attention from the distant stars.

"I'm just trying to understand you," I said softly.

"Don't," was his immediate response. His features appeared dark again, and I understood not to push.

"On another note," I tried to steer the conversation towards safer ground, "Tell me about Andrea. I've noticed you both share a strong bond that's a little unusual for a right hand man and his boss."