5. "I'll walk you home."

Night had fallen by the time she stumbled out of the house, tripping over her own feet and sitting down heavily on the top step. Holding her head in her hands, she listened vaguely to the music still pounding behind the door. It pounded in her head, too, and she couldn't get away from it. She groaned out loud and pressed the heels of her hands roughly against the sides of her head, trying to force the noise out of it.

"Are you all right?"

She had been so busy concentrating, she hadn't heard the door open and close at her back. She glanced up over her shoulder and shook her head.

"No" she mumbled. "My head is killing me and I feel sick."

He raised his eyebrows at this and sat down next to her, draping long arms over his knees. He turned his head to look curiously at her.

"Drank too much?" he asked.

She shook her head.

"No. I think I'm coming down with the flu. My head feels squirrelly."

He chuckled and she narrowed her eyes to glare at him. It didn't feel good, and she immediately widened her vision again.

"Wouldn't want that" he said smoothly.

When she didn't say anything, he nudged her shoulder gently with his.

"Come on, Lola, I'm only jesting. Smile for me?"

She didn't even bother; she just shook her head again and then leaned it on his shoulder.

"No" she said. "Too tired and I feel sick. I just want to go to sleep."

"I'll walk you home."

She sighed.

"You don't have to do that."

"But I want to. Let me walk you home. Come on."

She rolled her head off his shoulder and squinted at him through the shadows. He looked back at her, his expression wholly solemn and sincere. She sighed again and nodded. She stood up, swaying slightly.

"Okay then" she muttered.

He stood up quickly, steadying her with a hand on her shoulder.

"But I don't want you to get sick."

He smiled.

"I won't. I'll make sure I don't breathe the same air as you."

She snorted.

"Good luck with that one."

She started down the steps, and her ankle turned slightly, forcing her sideways. He grabbed her around the waist and hopped down behind her, guiding her down the steps the rest of the way.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to die before I get there" she murmured, groaning loudly as she lifted one hand to her head in pain.

"I could carry you" he suggested.

She hesitated, freezing up slightly in his embrace, but then she merely shook her head again.

"No, it's okay" she said softly. "Let me walk."

"Okay."

His words fell softly against her hair as he slowly shifted positions to walk beside her instead of directly behind. They walked in perfect silence, the only sound between them the pacing of their feet over pavement.

When they arrived at her house, he walked up the front path with her and stood on the bottom step, looking up at her as she stood on the top one.

"Call me tomorrow?" he asked. "I want to know how you feel in the morning."

She nodded tiredly.

"Okay."

His eyebrows drew together and his forehead furrowed.

"You promise?"

For once, she smiled at him.

"Yes, I promise" she murmured.

He nodded, satisfied.

"Good" he said. "Goodnight then, Lola."

"Goodnight."

He turned and walked away, hands in his pockets.