I Care About You

This is a story I copied from archiveofourown.org.

The author who wrote this (MischievousMonster) I give thanks and credit to.

Enjoy.

*******
.
.
.

Steve leaned against the corner of the bathroom wall, tears streaming down his face as he held a bloody knife tightly in his hand. His arms covered in cuts as he continued to cry harshly. Gripping his blond hair with one hand, closing his eyes. He could still see them. The messages, the texts, the words that burned into his soul and made him feel worthless. A waste of a human life. He shivered as he glanced up at the ceiling "They're probably right" He whispered as he continued to sob, bringing the knife across his arm again and watched as the blood seeped down from the new wound. Maybe he was worthless, maybe...nobody loved him.

He inhaled sharply and let out another sob, maybe he should just kill himself. He gripped his hair tightly with both hands, the knife still held in the one as he closed his eyes once more. He could see the messages clearly 'You're worthless' It read 'Why don't you just kill yourself gay wad?' Another one read. He chocked down a sob and picked up to knife to slash another cut into his arm, he could see the small puddle of blood that was beginning to form underneath him but he didn't care. He just continued to cry and slash away at his arm, maybe he would be better off dead. He couldn't take it. Why? Just why were these kids so rude and mean? What did he do? He didn't choose who he could like! He let out another sob, bringing his blood covered hand up to wipe his nose, leaving a red stain behind as he heard someone knock on the bathroom door and jiggle the handle.

Steve curled himself up into a ball, burying his head in his legs "Go away" He sobbed, not caring who was at the door. "Steve?" He heard Tony call from the other side of the door as his head shot back up before he sobbed a silent "No" Of all people why Tony? Sure Steve found him rather selfish and self-absorbed when they first met, but after witnessing Tony's selfless act while on an important mission S.H.I.E.L.D assigned to them. He had been seeing Tony in a brand new way and as the days went on he had developed a little crush on him. Okay a big crush. Which is where he made the mistake of posting it as his Facebook status, he never thought admitting to people that he had a crush on another boy would cause him so much ridicule. All because he admitted he had a crush on someone else, who cares if it was a boy or girl? Why...Why did those people have to chase after him? Call him such names and wish death upon him? He choked out another sob as he turned his attention to the door, hearing Tony began to knock louder "Steve open the door!" He heard him scream though he could clearly hear the concern in his voice. Steve bit his lip and shook his head. No. Tony wasn't one to make fun but if he didn't like something he would voice his opinion. Steve briefly wondered if Tony had read any of the things those people said about him. After all it was all public, and Tony could hack into anything being the genius he was. He remembers that S.H.I.E.L.D had offered to delete all traces of the data but Steve had become so depressed, he saw no point in erasing it. Even if they did, the messages and harassment would just keep coming, he let out another sob feeling the blood continue to drip down his arm.

Steve had never felt so helpless and he was starting to believe those awful things those kids said. He heard Tony begin to bang on the door harder "OPEN THE DAMN DOOR STEVE!" He let out another sob before he screamed back "NO!" He heard Tony give a sigh before he was sure he heard the sound of him walking away. Steve sniffled and wiped his already blood covered nose, Tony didn't care...He looked back down at his bleeding arms, they stung and burned a bit and he was beginning to feel dizzy. Maybe that was better, he could easily just pass out as his arms continued to bleed. Maybe he'd be lucky enough to bleed out in that case, after all he was useless...He let out another sob before he heard something, he paused briefly and listened. It sounded like when Tony charged up...His eyes widen "Oh no" He whispered before he let out a scream as the door blow to pieces. He covered himself with his bloody arms as the wood chunks flew and smoke gathered around, he slowly lifted his head back up and squinted his eyes. He could see the light fading from Tony's weapon as he lowered it and stepped towards Steve, who was now shivering. He let a sob out again and bit into his lip until he tasted iron, he was so fearful of what Tony would think and he would try to hide his arms if he wasn't frozen with fear "I told you to open the door" He heard Tony speak as the smoke finally cleared and Steve's eyes widened with fear "I..I" He once again sobbed as he saw Tony standing there, wearing his usual 'Black Sabbath' shirt and his black pants. His hair was slightly messy, though Steve knew that Tony tended to spend his nights studying until the early morn. He let out a sob as he saw him glance at his bloody arms before he took a step towards him.