Horses and Hayflowers

Ma Da Teng was a humble man, so there were few things he was proud of. One was his reputation. In his near 300 years as commander of the Golden City guard, he had received countless accolades for his meritorious pursuit of duty without compromise. In conversation, many would often change his name 'Da Teng' or 'Great Gallop' to 'Da Zheng', or 'Great Justice', in reference to his ceaseless endeavors to rectify wrongs and straighten society.

Another thing that Da Teng took pride in was his physique, unparalleled in strength and stamina. His work as commander left him little time for exercise, yet even as he neared his thousandth year he could still outpace all the rowdy young colts in his clan. In the clan race that was held annually from the capital to the western mountains, he was always first or second place.

A third source of pride, and one little known to outsiders, was Da Teng's skill with an erhu*. As a Dama, or great horse mu'ren*, his naturally long fingers gave him an advantage over humans, but even among his own kind he had no equal. Many had challenged him, but Da Teng had bested them all.

That's why when he first heard rumors of a young human courtesan in the night district who could play the erhu 'fit to move the Five Gods themselves', he was intrigued.

So intrigued that that night saw him wandering to the pleasure district of the Golden City. It was an area Da Teng often had cause to visit for work. An unlicensed flower, a patron quarreling over fees, or general drunken mischief were nightly events.

But tonight Da Teng was not dressed in his armor and uniform, and the night air felt strange as it brushed against the exposed skin at his neck. He pulled the collar of his plain tunic higher and the brim of his wide woven hat lower, nervous lest someone he knew see him on the streets and misinterpret his presence. Carefully he matched his pace with that of the crowds, doing his best to blend in.

"My lord, my lord, come here!" Da Teng glanced to the side then quickly away. Half clothed women hung from the windows of a gaily lit building, holding silken flowers which they used to beckon customers to them. Flowers in the hands of flowers*.

Da Teng quickened his steps. The brothel he was seeking out was near the canal, one of the largest and finest of establishments. He was worried he would not be able to see the woman in question, if the establishment was so fine. Many of the most famous prostitutes did not take customers at all, and instead had patrons, who paid for exclusivity.

If this girl was so famous that news of her had already reached his circles, she must surely have a patron. But perhaps if he made clear he only wished to hear her play the er'hu, he would be permitted to see her.

Still pondering, he made his way through the crowds, bumping elbows with the other pleasure seekers already ruddy faced with drink. The smell of grilled meat wafted above the street, and everywhere laughter and chatter echoed off stone walls and up to the distant night sky.

Finally, Da Teng reached his destination. A large building, one of the largest along the canal. The building was brightly lit and decorated extravagantly like the other brothels, but no women leaned from the windows, nor was there a line of customers out the door.

Da Teng hesitated beneath the brightly painted gateway, and almost turned back. Surely, it was foolish for him to come here, to risk his reputation just for curiosity at some flower girl's skill.

But then, above the laughter of the night district, he heard it. The sweet strains of an erhu, so delicate, so mystical, as to move his heart and his feet straight through the gate and into the brothel.

"Good evening my Lord. How may I help you?"

Da Teng looked over the servant girl kneeling beside the entrance, then to the board behind her. It was made of old polished wood, with many hooks of brass and gold hammered into it. From the hooks hung two things: wooden name boards and small cylindrical containers, some of glass, some of porcelain, and one of polished gold studded with gems. Into each of the containers was placed a single stem of a flower. Elegant lilies and devastatingly thorned roses seemed the most popular flower, all in shades of bright, sensual red.