THE FOURTH DAY

"You scared them too much," Tim says.

Jason turns in his seat to face him. Tim continues to type away at his laptop.

"So?" Jason huffs, perhaps a little too proudly. "That's what you wanted me to do. Better than what Damian tried; he would've dragged them home without a care if it weren't for me." His chair jolts back as he pulls the lever to recline, and Tim shoots him a weary look. Had he been sitting a few feet closer, he would have been hit. "Why did you create such an elaborate plan anyway? It would've been easier to just snatch them off the street. What's the point of all this?"

Doesn't everyone know already? 

"To teach them a lesson," Tim replies.

Jason quirks an eyebrow, his lips etching into a frown. He saying it like it's the obvious. It's not. "Making them scared of us is only going to make them hate us more when we take them away."

Not to mention that they're tricking you. They have been, for the past several days. Sure, Jason is bad because he agreed to play along with it, but the people who came up with it are worse. He doesn't mind shaking you up a little if it means you'll stay still when you're taken home, but he doesn't want you scarred for the rest of your life. He likes you because of the way you are now.

"It'll be for their own good. It'll teach them not to trust strangers again." ...Right. Like they're just strangers. Like they'll be letting you talk to anyone other than them after this.

Albeit unsatisfied with his answer, Jason let it go. His foul mood became a little more fouler, but he tried to push those feelings aside. They're taking you so their relationship can improve. He doesn't want to admit it, but constantly fighting over trivial things with his family gets tiring.

The one thing everyone could agree on was their motivation to keep you safe.

That's why Jason decided to get rid of your neighbor, after all. Tim was the one who told him, unsurprisingly. He was the one who watched you the most. He shared all the evidence showing why the neighbor deserved what would inevitably come for him: Pictures of the sidewalk you crossed right in front of his house, socks and towels he stole from your room when you left the window open — Jason was already loading his gun when he heard, but this wasn't the worst of it — the reason why Tim chose Jason to dispose of your neighbor instead of himself was not only because, well, it didn't fit Tim's agenda, but also because he knew that if there was anyone who could make your neighbor feel real pain, it was Jason. That's what he prided himself in, after all.

And when Jason heard about the ropes and chains your neighbor had hidden in his garage, the dark and dirty basement with a lock that could only be opened from the outside, the calendar pinned above his desk crossing off the days before the Purge, he decided a gun wasn't enough. He needed something else — something worse. Death was going to be a mercy your neighbor earned, and he was going to have to earn it through blood sweat and tears.

How did you never notice? Do you even realize what could have happened if it weren't for them?

Jason can almost begin to pity Tim. The sleep he loses because of you.

But now there was one less threat in your life. Once they got rid of your family — the ones who put it into your head that yanderes were bad people — then they would be one step closer to their happy ending. It would take a while for you to get over them, but Dick had assured that you would warm up to them before they knew it. You were a sweet kid. A smart kid. He just knew it.

Tim lifts his head to the sound of tires against the road.

"Finally," Jason groans with a stretch, "Took them long enough."