october 12th

I inhale cold air and it pierces my lungs, but I continue to persevere.

The finish line is right there and I just need to keep this pace.

Suddenly, a tall girl with dark brown hair pulled back into a low ponytail with a green headband passes me. She looks towards me and smirks.

Jerk.

I speed up but I cant catch up to her. I end in second.

"Hey, it's okay! Great job!" my coach says patting me on the back. I roll my eyes and pack up my things.

"What's wrong??" he asks, "Second is still good!"

"I wish you weren't so optimistic," I say, "I'm just bummed."

I was lying. I was more than bummed.

This was the first meet my mother came to, and the last she would be at. She was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, and it's been getting worse.

I know she isn't going to make it, but she tries to pretend she's beating it, but I know better.

I grab my duffel bag and exit the locker room.

"Hey honey!" my mother exclaims wheeling over to me, "I'm so proud of you."

She's frequently cut off by coughs but I pretend I don't notice.

"Thanks ma. Let's go now." I mutter pushing her wheelchair over to the car.

I help her into the back of the van with the handicap seat. I walk around the van and step into the driver's seat.

I start the car and drive home.

I help my mother out of the car and wheel her into our town home.

"How are you feeling today?" I ask her, "Did you take your medicine?"

My mother nods. I can tell she's tired.

I wheel her to her room and help her into her bed. Before I click off the lamp in her room, I gently kiss my mother on her forehead.