My Beloved's Homecoming

Before you read: Please play the song for proper feels. Happy Reading!
****

If one ever happens to ask what's Karan Shergill's favourite season was, the answer would be spring. And if you ask the reason, he would simply smile and answer, "Kyunki spring mujhe mere Rani Sahiba ki yaad dilate hai." He wouldn't bother to explain any further because it was as simple as that. Monami Mahajan was the best thing that ever happened to him. For him, she was both the sun and moon, and their love was like the stars in the infinite expanse of the universe. Before Monami, his life was no less than the dead trees in autumn. But the day she entered his otherwise dull life, Karan Shergill was reborn. Maybe that is why spring meant rebirth.

Aa aa aa..

Coming to the topic of spring, there was still a month left for its arrival. A month for Capt. Monami Mahajan Shergill to return home from her posting in Kashmir. Only a month to go for the two lovers to reunite. She had been away for nearly six months, serving on the frontlines in a small riot that had broken out in the adjoining border areas. For the first few weeks, Karan had panicked and spent many sleepless nights, worrying about Monami like any other spouse. Only after countless video calls and reassurances from Monami, Karan had concluded that his wife was safe and was in no immediate danger. He knew that for Monami duty always comes first, no matter what.

Aaoge Jab Tum O Saajna
Anganaa phool khilenge
Barsega saawan, barsega saawan
Jhoom jhoom ke
Do dil aise milenge

But now that her homecoming was nearing, Karan couldn't contain his excitement any longer. The spring in his steps had returned back and the spark had reignited in his deep black eyes.

Just like an overexcited kid, he started marking down the days on the calendar until her homecoming.

---------------

29 days until her arrival

The day dawned bright and early in the small quaint town of Palampur. The sun rays kissed Karan's face, breaking his sleep. He woke up and rubbed his eyes groggily. Yesterday he had been up late at night talking to Monami. He smiled sheepishly. Even after 2 years of marriage, they still behaved like newlyweds.

Quickly freshening up, Karan made a cup of coffee for him, just like Monami loves it- a bit creamy and sweet. Sipping up the hot beverage, he remembered when he used to drink black coffee only. "Itni kadwi coffee peete ho, isliye humesha khadoos banke rehte ho. Ekbar meri coffee peekar dekho, kitni acchi hai", Monami had once remarked on one of their many dates. Karan had scrunched up his nose instead and politely declined. But now when she was not here, Karan had adapted all of her habits. Maybe that's how love works- one adapts the small mannerisms and habits of their partner.

Picking up his sketchbook, he slung over his satchel on his shoulder and stepped outside in the bright sun. Today felt like a good day to paint. He went down the road and then started to climb uphill. After ten minutes, he reached a small secluded lake surrounded by pine trees. It was one of Monami's favourite spots. She had shown him the place when he was feeling down one day. And since then, he used to come up here whenever he felt down or missed her.

He sat down under one of the trees and leaned against it. Propping his knees up, he took out his sketchbook and closed his eyes. He heard birds chirping and the distant gushing of a waterfall. He could smell the sweet yet subtle fragrance of the bluebells growing in the woods. He concentrated harder.

Suddenly the tinkling of bangles made Karan snap his eyes open. He looked up and saw Monami standing in a baby pink salwar suit. She was smiling. He stood up.