1| Midtown City

"Come on, Ez. Live a little." Ezra's best friend tucked her skinny arm in the crook of his elbow and leaned her head against his shoulder. Artificially gray tinted hair flew up in the wind to land in his mouth. She said those exact words to him at least once a day, sometimes twice. She always wanted him to taste new food, see new sites, and try new drugs with her miscreant other friends. Tonight, she wanted to see an underground band in one of the crap-tastic night clubs she favorite because they didn't card if you flashed them enough thigh. "I saw them a while ago when they only had a few songs, but they're so much better now! I think you'd like them!"

The two of them were making their way home after a day spent at MCU, the inner-city University that was always crawling with new students. Ezra was studying Art in order to be a dealer for museums and personal buyers. Kenzie was taking multiple genres of music production, hoping to own her own label one day. 

The icy, winter wind was starting to creep it's way through Ezra's thick, woolen pea-coat and the slushy remnants of snow were leaking in through the canvas sides of his sneakers. Ezra gave her a hard side glance that he hoped read "There is no way on earth you'll convince me." It just made her tighten her grip on his arm and stick her lip out to quiver dramatically. "Pleeeease? I don't have anyone else to go with."

"You always have someone to go with." He countered, which they both knew was more than true. Kenzie had never met a person she didn't like and everyone liked her just the same. She was small and spunky and loud spoken. The perfect counter to Ezra. Their apartment was always flowing with people that knew her from her job at the record store, or the University or that had met her at a show or party or whatever else you could think of. 

"I want to go with you, for once." She pouted even more, which Ezra didn't even realize was physically possible.

The two of them had been best friends for as long as Ezra could remember. They'd grown up as neighbors in the same apartment complex until the accident happened and Ezra had to move in with her family in another apartment in another district. That accident was the reason Ezra didn't like adventure. The reason he didn't talk much. That same accident was the reason he just wanted to hurry up and get through college and make enough of a living to move out of this dangerous town. He didn't have time for friends (except Kenzie, of course. He always made exceptions for Kenzie). He didn't have time for parties and concerts. He had to study and study hard and keep a level head if he ever wanted to escape.

Five years seemed to feel like forever to others his age, but to Ezra it felt like yesterday. He'd looked at the calendar on his phone earlier that day and saw that it had happened 4 years and 11 months ago. That was how he measured time. Tomorrow would be 4 years, 11 months and 1 day since his parents had been crushed due to some stupid, unnecessary, intergalactic warfare that just had to happen in his city, in his neighborhood and mostly on top of his and Kenzie's family's apartment block.

Billboards soaring above his head showed their hooded, masked, smiling faces. News feeds broadcasted from shop windows showing interviews and themed toys. They flashed on commercials, sponsored by brands and companies. Ezra didn't see heroes. He saw the people that had murdered his family. Most people looked at these masked vigilantes and it made them feel protected and excited. They were supposed to represent hope and peace. They just made Ezra feel even more alone.

"Come on Kenzie, I have a test tomorrow," He tried again, rubbing the back of his neck in frustration. 

"You study every day. Brains need to take breaks sometimes." There was a test in the morning, but it was simple physics, a basic class that he had to complete in order to move into the specifics of his Art degree. Kenzie was the one who needed to study. She spent her time on campus socializing and used the rest of her time for partying and tinkering with music production software. She was falling behind him in GPA at a fast pace. 

He sighed. "Kenzie-"

Kenzie nuzzled his arm, her pale make-up rubbing onto the sleeve of his coat. At this point, they both knew that he was just one more complacent sigh away from giving into her cuddly assault. She had a way about her that was soothing. She'd touch his shoulder and the tension in them would subside. She'd curl up next to him on the couch and sling his arm around her shoulders for warmth and it'd put a small smile on his usually serious face. He still remembered the night the two of them learned that their homes had been smashed to smithereens by heroes and their alien foes. They were both 14, and he was twice her size, but she let him curl onto her lap and stroked his hair as he cried, and even today her touch helped him.

"Please. Please. Please. Please." She said to the rhythm of her chin rubbing on his shoulder. 

"Ugh! Fine! But you owe me dinner." He gave in, crossing his arms in front of his chest with a scowl. She squealed, rocking up on her tip-toes to kiss him lightly on the cheek.

"I'll make you some at home, come on!" she said, excitedly tugging on his arm to get him to move faster on their route. Ezra already knew this was going to be a long night. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Hey there! Thanks for reading! Don't forget to let me know what you think!