Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

Time had passed swiftly through the night, as did the following morning, and it wasn't until mid-day that any of them awoke. Dinca was the first to wake and she quickly woke everyone else.

"It's late. Get up."

Yawns, purrs, and growls sounded off around the room.

Ozlin got up and opened the window to look out. "Kuda's at it again," she informed them, watching as she saw him afar twirling in the skies. "Got a nice crowd out there too."

"Oh yeah?" Copa asked as he came standing to his feet. He went to the window beside Ozlin and stepped out onto the ledge. "Where are you going?" Thenice asked.

Copa glanced back at her and replied, "Follow the leader." He spread his wings and flew off towards the crowd.

Ozlin, Dinca and Thenice were quick and were close behind him. The three females all stopped near the front of the crowd. Copa didn't stop and as they watched Copa continued towards Kuda before landing next to him. Copa came to about a few feet away from Kuda. "Feel like a little run?" Copa asked Kuda.

Kuda looked his way and spoke "You know, I saw you out here last night doing a bit of flying."

"Yeah?"

"Fluttering through the city...hmmm?"

Copa knew he was speaking of himself and Thenice. "It's funny how you know all the tricks and can't handle the basics..." Copa said.

"I can handle the basics," Kuda said sarcastically. Copa could see his words was getting to him. "Enough small talk," Kuda said and got in position. "You first," granted Copa.

"Oh, I know," Kuda said arrogantly. "Just land on your feet this time," he said to Copa as he shot off. Speed from the start they flew wildly, low, and high, swirls, twirls, loops. Copa stayed on point. Kuda went for a dip to lose Copa for good. He dove strong. The winds rushed past them as they came closer to the ground. Kuda cut back just inches from the ground as sand and dust blew up with the movements. He waited for the sound of Copa's crash, but none came. He looked behind him and said, "Oh crap!" as Copa rushed ahead from behind him. The wind was so strong it slightly drew him onward.

"I guess you don't want to be the lead!" called Copa. The sword was now in the other hand as Copa now had to come up with maneuvers to keep his lead and lose Kuda at the same time. Sharp turns, spins, and all kinds of stunts were executed, but Kuda stayed right with him. Copa knew he had to find a way to shake Kuda. As he flew low to the ground an idea came to Copa. The pair flew towards the end of the turtle island, Copa in lead and Kuda on his heels. Copa dove smoothly straight into the waters without a splash, as if he just vanished. Kuda was surprised but was not taking a loss. He took a deep breath and entered the waters. Being much lighter in weight than Copa, Kuda's speed gained on Copa fast to take the lead and then came up for air for he could not hold his breath as long as Copa and Copa knew it.

"You'll never get the lead again!" Kuda shouted shooting through the skies.

"Watch me!" Copa responded as he increased his own speed. Kuda stopped in midair and turned towards Copa with a swinging open hand and claws ripped across Copa's chest, drawing blood. "Follow me now!" Kuda called out and flew straight into the Linches.

"You, son of a brick!" Copa yelled after Kuda rubbing blood from his chest, but Copa refused to give Kuda a cheap victory and sped after Kuda into the blood thirsty Linches.