Prologue

"An old enemy is waking..." rasped Christopher, eyes unfocused while a swirling greenish mist manifested around him like insubstantial tendrils, caressing his skin like climbing vines. The fire in the fireplace was dimming in response to the wave of magic emanating from the leather seat where Chris was seated. 

Adamus rolled his eyes. "Well that limits it down. I've got a lot of old enemies, if you have not yet noticed."

Quite suddenly Chris snapped out of his trance and blinked a couple of times before focusing back to Adamus. The greenish mist were disappearing, seeping into the floor of the room like they never existed. The fire roared back to life, crackling the log firewood, the red intensity of it matching the gigantic saffron Aubusson rug . "Were you being rude to oracle-me again?"

Adamus reclined in his seat looking unfazed. He leaned forward and moved his pawn on the chessboard, taking one of Chris's. "What makes you think that?"

"Because the trance ended abruptly and it's not coming back to tell us the rest of the prophesy. Which means that either, a. you were being a dick to oracle-me again, or b. you were being a dick to oracle-me again!"

"It's not my fault oracle-you were such an overly sensitive whine." Adamus replied dryly. "Its your move." 

"I swear, you just don't want any kind of help at all." Chris said, his eyes glinting that he was just beginning his tirade, chess match forgotten. "Any time Lord A extend his godly hand to help you, you just swat them away."

Adamus visibly stiffen at the mention of his father. Chris of all people should know that his progenitor was off topic – period. He had a lot of bad blood with his family and do not appreciate the names of people he hated most in the known universe being carelessly flung to his face.

"Chip..." he growled.

Chris's frown deepened at the mention of his childhood nickname. "You know I hate that name."

"And you know how much I hate Apollo." Adamus retorted.

Flinging his hands into the air, Chris stood up and backed away from Adamus. "You know what? I have had enough of your bullshit Adam. I'm leaving." Chris walked towards the exit and swung the massive mahogany doors open. However, before he slipped away, he paused and looked back to his long time friend.

"For what it's worth, I also heard a woman screaming your name. I don't know if that's gonna be useful to you."

Relaxing in his seat, Adamus chuckled. "Women always screams my name, Chris."

Chris's mom had taught him better to slam the door just because he was frustrated even though he was highly tempted to. So, he simply let the door stood ajar knowing that Adamus would have to get up and close it his damn self. Crossing the threshold, Chris relieved the intermingling sights and sounds that had bombarded him a few minutes before.

A faint metallic scent of blood and a woman's scream. Yes. He'd heard that – along with a name. Only that he did not feel like it was the right time to tell Adamus everything he had seen. Chris had long figured that there were some things that he was allowed to share, and some things that are not. It was better to let things play out as they are supposed to.

Being an oracle sucks like that.

"Bellatrix..." he whispered the woman's name to the dark hallways of his home. "Lets see how this plays out."