24

Sofia didn't know what to do about the blackmailer. She knew they wanted money. But she also knew that Tom wasn't going to pay them.

Sofia didn't want the truth about her and Tom to come out. She knew how everything would change once it did. And she didn't know if she was ready to deal with that.

That morning, she woke in bed and sighed. She heard the radio on downstairs. She grabbed her dressing gown and walked down.

Tom was in the kitchen feeding Gracie who was giggling. Sofia smiled. "Morning."

"Hey. You okay?"

Sofia nodded. She sat down and sighed. "Maybe I could ask Charley to lend me the money to pay the blackmailer? I'm sure she will."

Tom turned to her and sighed. "Babe. No. We're not going to give in. It's not happening. They can say what they want to who they want," he said.

Sofia nodded and sighed. She hated how everything was just so messy at the moment. And she didn't want it anymore. She just wanted peace and quiet.

***
Sofia walked into school. She walked over to Charley. "Can I talk to you at break?" She asked.

Charley nodded and smiled. "Course you can. Come
Come to my classroom. We'll be able to talk in private," she said.

"Okay. Thanks."

Sofia turned and walked off. She knew that she and Tom had agreed they weren't paying the blackmailer. But Sofia didn't want to risk it.

***
Sofia sat in the common room. She saw Sian walking in and smiled. "Hey love."

"Hi mum."

Sian sat with her and smiled. "How are you? I've been worried about you," Sian admitted.

Sofia sighed and smiled. "I'm fine. Just a little stressed with exams coming up and that. Don't worry. I'm going to be okay. Promise."

Sian smiled and took her hand. "You're going to do so well in these exams. I promise you. My little clever clogs."

Sofia smiled a little. She stood up and sighed. "I've got something to do," she said.

***
Lunchtime came so Sofia walked towards Charley's classroom. She saw the older girl sitting there. "Hey."

"Hey. What's wrong? You're not pregnant again are you?" Charley asked as she looked to her.

Sofia sighed and sat down. "I need to borrow some money. I'm in a bit of a mess. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate."

Charley frowned. She looked to her. "How much? What mess are you in? Drugs?" She asked.

Sofia shook her head. She sighed. "No! Someone is blackmailing me. They need £2,000 or they're going to ruin my life."

Charley was shocked. She sighed and smiled. "I'll sort this. Okay?"

"No. You won't."

Sofia turned to see Tom there. She stood up and walked out the class with Tom. Tom glared to her. "What are you playing at? You pay whoever this is, it won't stop. They will keep wanting money from us. Money that we don't have."

Sofia looked to him. "I just wanted it to go away. Please," she said.

Tom shook his head and sighed. "I know it's complicated. But it's all going to be okay"

But was Tom being honest when he said it would be okay?