About

Alpha
So far, the only two known ways for a Beta (werewolves with a pack) or Omega (werewolves without a pack) to achieve Alpha ranking is by killing another Alpha or being a True Alpha werewolf, which is only achieved by strength of character or sheer willpower, which to the werewolves is earning it, which is rare among them since there has never been a True Alpha apart from Scott McCall since the time of Lycanos, the first werewolf.

Also the story hints that there is a natural line of succession within packs. When Lucien's pack is killed, and he is incapacitated, Rachel assumed the role of an Alpha werewolf within the Xanders Pack. It is also discovered that Alpha werewolves are able to transform to a greater degree than Beta, Gamma, Zeta, and Omega werewolves, such that they can become hulking wolf-men or fully formed canine wolves depending on their experience or physiology. Alpha werewolves' eyes glow red when agitated or in their transformed state, or when they use their full power.

The Alpha werewolves are typically the leaders of a werewolf pack and are more powerful than all other werewolves. An Alpha werewolf needs a minimum of three Beta werewolves to form a basic pack. Due to a symbiotic relationship between pack members, the larger or more powerful the pack is, the greater an Alpha werewolf's strength, speed, and skill increases.

They have the ability to force other werewolves (or other shapeshifters) to transform, or restrain and change them back to human form, even when driven purely by werewolf instinct, as on an early full moon, simply by roaring. Some rare packs can be composed entirely of Alpha werewolves, with one dominant leader. These are what are known as Alpha packs. If an Alpha werewolf kills one of their Beta werewolves from their own pack, they absorb their powers, becoming stronger, faster, and more powerful. Alpha werewolves also have the ability to hide their scent. As shown by Lucien with Peter, Alpha werewolves have limited telepathy and mental control over the werewolves that they create. If an Alpha werewolf directly wounds another werewolf, the wound will take longer to heal.

According to Abraham Argent, the capacity to shape shift into actual wolves, or to successfully fuse their Lycan form with a Vampire’s blood (which Peter successfully does when saved by Mina Tepes) are rare abilities among Alpha werewolves.

Abilities

Superhuman Strength
Superhuman Speed
Accelerated Healing – Alpha Werewolves heal the quickest from most injuries.
Genetic Immunity - Alpha Werewolves are immune to Genetic diseases such as Cancer and many illnesses, they can never get sick.
A Beta or Omega can become an Alpha by killing an Alpha.
A Beta or Omega can become an Alpha through strength of character or force of will alone. These are called “True Alphas” and are very rare.

Kinsmir
The Kinsmir is a rare form of Alpha that hasn't existed, or even as tried to exist at all. They are the result of a vampire injecting a werewolf with their blood, causing a transformation and creating a werewolf with the abilities of both Lycans and Vampires. The only successful one to have been made is Peter Talbot, when the vampire princess Mina Tepes drinks of his blood after he offered his to save her life.

In the ancient times of the two Brothers, Dagon & Lycanos..., a prophecy foreseen and foretold by both stated the coming of the Kinsmir as a Human, chosen by fate, and becoming one of their two children, and being bitten by another to one day free the world from true darkness and bring balance between Lycans, Vampires and Humanity. Overtime this prophecy was long since forgotten, and considered a myth by modern day. However, it's believed perhaps..., that Peter Talbot himself is 'The Chosen One' as foretold.

But Peter as of today isn't the only Kinsmir coming into existence, for others have already begun to be transformed into this new species, and not just as a merging of Lycan and Vampire, but other races as well.