Chapter 17 ~Painting~

August 14, 2014 

A few days had passed after EJ’s sudden temperature rise. Dad found out about EJ’s fever, and of course, he was worried, but he understood that the fever was a side effect of the medicine that he was taking. 

While in Dad’s office, he received an email back from Milestone Academy, and he found out that there were hospital patients that go to the Academy. I guess that lessens Dad’s worries. He immediately sent back a message requesting for AJ and EJ to continue their studies in the hospital while they were recovering from their injuries. Dad glanced over at the picture that was there on his desk. It was a picture of his kids. He gave a small smile and said, “You guys will be alright, everything has changed.” 

Then there were three soft knocks on the door of his office. He looked up at the door and gave a quick chuckle because he recognized about the knock. “Come in, Josh,” 

Uncle Josh came in the office holding a paper bag with him. “How are you holding up, James?” 

“Fine, I guess,” Dad replied. 

Uncle Josh just gave a nod and said, “Why don’t you take a break for a moment?” He placed the paper bag on the table. “I brought you your favorite snack from the restaurant.” 

“Sure, I really do need to break anyways from what I was doing today. Thanks for being there, Josh.” 

“It’s my pleasure. Ever since my sister was sick, my focus was you guys and my family,” He quickly handed over a Styrofoam cup to Dad. “I ordered the special sandwich that you like, the one that Ava always made you everyday, when she was still alive,” Uncle Josh gave a quick smile to Dad and continued on. “I made a promise to Ava, that I will be with you guys at all times, and that my family will be there for you too, no matter what.” 

Dad smiled back to Uncle Josh. Minutes went by, and Uncle Josh and Dad finished their quick snack. Dad looked at Uncle Josh and said, “I received an email about AJ and EJ’s studies, and they’re allowing them to continue them in the hospital. They will start in a couple of weeks. They are still processing the students that enrolled for the summer class, to be enrolling from this school year.” 

Uncle Josh nodded, knowing that this will not be easy to tell his two kids about school.

The next day at the hospital, Nurse Finn had a good idea to bring AJ to one of the larger classrooms where they held art activities for the patients. While entering the hallway to the classroom, Nurse Finn asked to AJ, “Do you want to check in your access cards, before we go inside?” 

AJ gave a nod, and took off the lanyard from her neck then gave it to Nurse Finn. She was so fascinated that this hospital was so different from the last time when she was there. She was mostly in the lower parts of the hospital, in the emergency room and the health clinic for her daily check-ups. 

After they heard a low beep, they entered the large classroom. Nurse Finn brought AJ to one of the empty painting easels. AJ was so happy that she could paint again; it has been awhile since her last painting session. Nurse Fin told AJ that he will be back with an apron and painting materials.  

While AJ was thinking about what she wanted to create, one of the art teachers came to her and said, “Hey there!” 

AJ was startled. “Oops, I didn’t mean to scare you. I’m Cedric, but you can call me Ced.” 

AJ gave a nod and said, “I’m AJ. It’s nice to meet you.” She gave a small smile, still thinking about what to paint. 

“It’s nice to meet you, AJ. If you need any help, you can just call me or my co-worker on the other side of the classroom. Her name is Rhea.” 

AJ gave another nod and slowly Cedric walked to others who were painting. By the time Ced was gone, Nurse Finn came in and gave AJ the painting materials. He helped her placed the apron, over AJ’s hospital gown. 

“Have you thought of something to paint?” Nurse Finn asked. 

AJ just shook her head. “No worries. You’ll think of something soon. You’ll be surprised what will inspire you in here. I’ll leave you to your creative arts, and I will be right back for you. I just have some things for you - I mean some things to do, ok?” Nurse Finn said and gave a smile to AJ before walking out of the classroom. 

AJ still had no ideas in her head, and she was a bit bothered. She looked around the classroom to find some inspiration, but still nothing. Then she looked at the other patients and their paintings, basically the two people right next to her, a male and a female patient. Still, nothing came to mind. 

She glanced at the female patient. She was wearing a black hoodie over her hospital gown; she was not even wearing an apron. She had very long hair down to her waist, flowing down her sides even though her hoodie was up. She looked like she was hiding something. 

AJ looked at the female patients’ painting, and said, “Such a wonderful painting.”

The female patient just nodded and continued putting the final touches of the painting. She immediately raised her hand, and Ced came to her to check her paint. When Ced gave an approval that she can leave, she stood up and walked up to the door. 

Then all of a sudden, Ced spoke, “Hey Lailani,” 

She froze when she heard her name. Ced continued on, “You didn’t sign your painting.” 

The female patient gave a sigh and went back to her painting. She signed her painting, “Lai A”, then gave another sigh and walked back towards the door and out of the classroom. AJ got a quick glance at her before she walked away. She saw that she was wearing a face mask on the left side of her face. Then AJ went back to her painting and read the name that she signed at her painting. She stared at the painting. It was a red and pink rose fixed together.

After what she saw from the other patients, a glimpse of a vivid memory from her childhood appeared in her mind. She said to herself, "I hope to see this view some day." She started working on it. 

Ced came to check on AJ. "Oh, hey, it looks like you started on your painting. It will turn out to be amazing." He gave a quick grin to AJ and went on to see the other patients. Then AJ went back to her painting. 

After a few hours, there were only few people left in the activity area. AJ finally finished her painting and was satisfied. She finished her final touches of the painting, then she quickly raised her hand and said, "I'm done." 

Ced came to see her painting, and he was surprised. "Wow, that is such an amazing painting. I think that painting has a such a great memory." 

Rhea, curious to see the artwork, came around to see AJ's painting. She gave a smile, "What a picture, a lot of people will like your painting." 

Nurse Finn, who came in a couple of minutes earlier, was watching AJ paint and smiled. "Such talent, right?"

AJ gave a smile back to them. "I guess so. Mom kept telling me that, and I liked it anyways, especially doing fashion." 

The others gave a nod, seeing that AJ was happy with her painting. After a few minutes, Nurse Finn and AJ left the large classroom. They went straight to EJ's room, and AJ told EJ everything about her activity. 

EJ gave his older sister hug. "At least you were enjoying it, while you were here in the hospital.”