Chapter 1

.

"You were supposed to protect us."

"You weren't fast enough."

"Why didn't you stop him, like you always did?"

"You're a failure!"

"Real heroes don't fail!"

.

At this point, Sonic had heard it all. Despite having saved the day many times before, he messed up a single time and it caused his entire life, his whole herodom as the 'blue blur' to be thrown into question. No matter what he'd done in the past, it only took this one time for all of it to be forgotten by the public. Station Square may have been his home, but it was a city full of humans. For an anthropomorphic hedgehog, it was often uncomfortable, making him feel like he didn't fit in anywhere. Being a hero, a saviour of the people, that was what made him feel useful, wanted. Unable to fulfill that position, he felt lost. For Sonic, what was the point of putting forth an effort to be a good guy if people merely degraded you for failing?

It all started a week ago whenever he was in the middle of a fairly common battle with his tubby arch-enemy, a middle-aged human known as Dr. Robotnik. The doctor, or 'Eggman' as he was sarcastically referred to by his enemies due to his rotund shape, was a master in Robotic Engineering. Ivo Robotnik was a prodigy. His family tree was filled with rocket scientists and mathematical geniuses; his family's last name reflected that.

For all the intellect, for as long as Sonic has known him, Dr. Robotnik had been hell-bent on dominating the world. The man dreamt of creating a totalitarian regime. Eggman Empire. Generally speaking, he does his best to proceed with that plan by using his scientific expertise, constructing killer robots, war machines, doomsday weapons and committing cyberattacks that could cripple a first world nation's economy. Considering all of this, it's never been a surprise to Sonic that he had to deal with mechanical monstrosities; such as Eggman in a 30 foot (9 meter) mecha that bore a strong resemblance to the mad doctor himself. The Death Egg Robot.

.

.

[Time - 3:45 P.M.]

[Date - June 12, 23XX]

(Location - Station Square, Downtown District)

.

"Come on, Eggman!" Sonic bumptiously shouted toward the evil genius as he ran around the feet of the Death Egg Robot, completely avoiding any of its attacks. "We've been through this before! You should know by now that I'm just going to destroy your robots, no matter how tall you make them!"

Dr. Robotnik cackled through the intercom of the D.E.R. Sonic was super fast, yet the giant mecha was nearly able to keep up by rotating its torso a full 360 degrees. Using his smarts, he tried to predict where Sonic would be prior to directing the mecha to punch the ground; its large metal fist impacting the pavement with enough force to smash into the asphalt, just barely missing the blue hedgehog. "You think I don't know that?" Retracting the Death Egg Robot's arm from the ground, he said "I just wonder if you know the same about me? Don't you see? I'll never give up, no matter what you and your freaky furry friends say or do, I'll always be back!" Rapidly pulling levers and pressing buttons, he commanded the D.E.R. to reel its right foot backward in preparation for a kick.

"Like I said, I'll just foil your plans!" Sonic laughed as he very easily avoided the giant robot's kick.

"Until that one time that you don't, Sonic! That's all it's going to take!" Dr. Robotnik spat back as he made the D.E.R. fire off a barrage of miniature seeker missiles.

The missiles had their own form of artificial intelligence. Their guidance chip allowed them to target Sonic and follow his every move. 'I hate these things.' Sonic thought as he ran forward, then dashed up the side of a building. Only one missile hit the building; the others succeeded in following him upward.