11

E  L  I  A  S

Sol paces behind me, her longing etched across her features, though scepticism still lingers. I reach a weathered cell door and unlock it, the rusty hinges protesting with a loud creak. As promised, her father occupies the dim space inside, her mother confined in the cell next to it.

Sol bursts into a desperate run, arms outstretched, and embraces her father with a fierce grip. Tears cascade down her face, mingling with a torrent of emotions.

"Is it done?" Sol's father rasps, the sparse light catching the glint of his blonde hair. His words hold a desperate hope, a silent plea that resonates through the stifling air full of dust. "You're back, and are we finally free?"

My face winces at the overwhelming stench enveloping the cell. "You can leave," I mutter, yearning for a breath of air untouched by despair. "Sol is free to stay in The North, just as we agreed. All punishments are lifted."

As I observe the tearful reunion, a pang of uncertainty hits me. Is it worth it for an adoptive family? Yet, Sol's expression seems to answer the question. For a moment, I entertain the haunting thought of reuniting with my mother. My face betrays a grim expression, and I cast my eyes downward.

"Thank you, Elias. I appreciate you not killing Mina as well," Sol says, desperately lifting her father from being slumped in the cold cell.

I turn to walk away with a twinge of envy. "I made no commitments regarding Mina; she's outside the scope of our deal. Her fate remains uncertain, and frankly, it's of no concern to me," I reply, a bitter edge to my tone.

Sol doesn't say anything, her attention fixated on her father as I exit the cellars. The air is thick with the lingering odours of emotion and relief.

Fewer attacks have plagued us this past week. The recruitment of men from The East has been a reliable source of strength, but The West persists, finding alternative avenues. That's why we need Mina, and I reluctantly struck a forgiving deal—something I'd never grant to anyone else if I weren't so desperate.

The meeting went reasonably well, and Mina, despite her recklessness, seems pleased with the conditions. It was the only way I could have possibly secured her assistance. Yet, discontent lingers within me, knowing our alliance won't be as secure in the meantime we're not married.

As I follow up to the door, reaching midnight, the rooms grow cooler, and the silence becomes more blaring. I can hear myself in my head more clearly, the weight of my choices echoing in the quiet.

As I anticipate Noah outside the door, my expectations shatter when I encounter Cade, his gaze fixated on me with a condescending intensity. If I weren't bound by the need for formality, a disgusted grimace would have etched itself onto my face.

This particular hour is one where I decidedly don't want people around me, and Cade's presence intensifies my need to be alone.

"Six months? This is far from what we discussed concerning Mina," Cade asks, trailing beside me with a discontented tone that grates on my nerves.

For a moment, irritation prickles beneath my skin, and I feel the urge to seal my ears shut.

"It appears you're attempting to offer unsolicited advice on my decisions regarding my soon-to-be wife. These are matters that require no external discussion," I retort, sending him a sharp glare.

The words cut through the air, and Cade slightly bristles beside me. "She's not cooperative; she may use that time to plan an escape."

Inwardly, a storm of frustration and irritation rages.