chapter 05

Olma

Olma
......

Confusion clouds my mind which has no recollection of falling asleep, and as I wipe the sleep from my eyes, I strain my ears to scan the room. I inwardly curse myself for not checking around the area and discovering more of the house before falling asleep like I had planned to.

My only excuse was the unnatural amount of sleep I had obtained the night before, due to the days long train journey wherein I was mercilessly tortured by the stiffness of the seats I 'slept' in. The comfort of this bed suffocated any rational left in my puny brain, and my eyes and body could no longer withstand the urge to shut down and finally experience the beauty of a bed once again.

Unfortunately, my initial plan was to go down to the beach earlier and explore my surroundings and get to unpacking, but I hadn't realised the intensity of my exhaustion, and mistook a nap for a deep sleep.

I focus my gaze onto the transparent curtains, revealing only darkness, and dissapointment spreads through me.

Yawning, I run both hands over my face and inhale, smiling as I sense the salty tinge of the fresh air in my room, most likely wafting in from the singular crack in the window.

I fumble for my phone using both arms and feet, still too lazy and tired to utilise my body parts to an efficient advantage, but also partially confident that I had left it beside me on my bed while changing.

After finally finding it, and momentarily being blinded by the stark light in contrast to the much darker room, it reveals to me that I have slept for six hours.

It's 10:02pm.

I abruptly stand - which was a mistake - and as I flick the switch of the light pink lamp nestled on a oak nightstand beside my bed, it feels as though the room only gets darker while my mind only spins faster.
I make a mental note to take my iron supplements in the morning.
After composing myself and realising that I fell asleep in my travel clothes, I grab a towel and my white silk pyjamas.
And also a couple of shampoos, conditioners, body washes, toothbrushes, skincare products and loofas.

...

After spending an average of thirty minutes attempting at putting my thick hair in the heat rollers I had received as a gift from one of my sponsorships, I make my hefty way downstairs, making sure to grab the wooden railings which are evidently painted white from the multiple chippings on either side. My other hand traipses gently along the wallpaper featuring baby blue stripes arranged irregularly, my fingertips tremendously careful of pressing too hard incase my irrational fear of the house crumbling and disappearing before my eyes would become true.

Entering the kitchen, I glide my fuzzy slippers towards the kettle, and after flicking it on, I lean on the white marble counter and gaze around the room, devouring every detail.
The gold undertones in the cabinets.
The sublime illustrations of pumas.
The eerily continuous reference to hearts.

Valja must really pay attention to detail.

The bell sound of the kettle switching off startles me, and I distract myself from my churning thoughts by dipping the tea bag in a random mug I found in one of the overhead cabinets. My ears perk at the tapping sound of the dripping tap, and I move to turn it off, simultaneously analysing the sink. Misplaced and soaking pieces of cutlery and plates line the sink, and realisation hits me as I remember that I am not alone. I turn the tap off completely and pick up my mug, determined on introducing myself to this stranger. 

I move through the house, still taking in my surroundings, and following the muffled sounds of clanging and banging coming from one of the rooms at the far end of the house. I walk through the living room, past the couch and coffee table and reach for the handle of the wooden door that is already cracked open. I give the door a little knock as a warning and then push the door open all the way.

A cloud of sawdust enters my lungs and blinds my vision momentarily, and as I rub my eyes to clear them, I hear metals drop with a large clang to the ground.

Blinking furiously, I sense a figure stand up and begin walking towards me. I quickly straighten up, just to be met with a