Chapter One

Janis Valikos sat down at his desk in the Captain’s quarters, pulled out a book labeled Pelinaion Captain’s Log from his trunk, and began to write.

           January the Thirteenth, in the Year of our Lord Nineteen Forty.

           The only sounds to be heard in the cabin were the scratching of his quill, the creaking of his ship, and occasional hollers from his crew on deck. Captain Janis paused for a moment, looking out of the porthole. A storm was brewing in the distance. If he judged it right, he had just enough time to write his entry for the day.

           It is now just over three weeks since we set sail from West Africa. Our ship is currently on schedule, though I would like to go faster if we are to beat the other captains to Maryland. If we lost, it would be a severe blow to my pride, especially so close to retirement. Only three months left as captain of this ship. I’ll miss my men, of course, but I’m looking forward to spending the rest of my days in the small seaside cottage I bought back home in England.

           I have full confidence in my men. The only difficulty we will have is docking at Bermuda, what with the war and all. Talk among my men is that the Americans plan to build a naval base on the island. Still, it’s the best option if we want to reach Baltimore first and keep our pride intact, not to mention the bets I’ll win from the other captains will keep me comfortable for years.

           “Captain, we need you on deck!” his first mate yelled from the door.

           Janis smiled, closing his book and gruffly chortling to himself. He knew this old sea well. As the captain walked out on deck, he saw the first wave of the storm approaching. He took a deep breath of the salty air and felt at home.

           “Alright, m’boys, batten the hatches and prepare to take orders!”

           “Aye aye, Captain!” came the resounding chorus from his crew. They had weathered many storms, working together like a well-oiled machine. This weather would not stand in their way. Nothing could stop them from reaching Baltimore first.

           Captain Valikos maneuvered his ship to allow the storm to blow them onwards at full speed. His ship rode the waves with a skill that reflected the master at its helm.

           This is life at its best, thought Janis.