Beam

On Tuesday, I turned up at Mae's house around 8am, bright and early. She had cooked up a storm for breakfast. We were going to have breakfast before heading out to buy groceries for the dinner later. Uncle had already gone to work so it was only us.

I was helping her set up the table when the door bell rang. She asked me to get the door. I went to open it and before seeing the visitor, I waiied respectfully, inviting them in, identifying myself as her son in law.

I then looked up and got a heart attack! I had just identified myself to my husband, I meant Lam!!

I was surprised. He was supposed to have left for work already. What was he doing here?

"Lam.. I thought you had work?"

"I did. I requested to report back tomorrow instead."

"OH, something urgent came up?"

"It's dinner with my mom. And her son in law. I heard he did 5 nights in a row for today. The least I can do is ask for an additional day off."

I smiled at that. I turned before he could see my smile, muttering his mom would be happy to see him. He went off to sneak up and surprise her whilst I continued setting the table. I heard shrieks of joy coming from the kitchen and knew the surprise was successful. I chuckled. They came out and we had a good breakfast together.

Once that was over, his mom offered to stay to do prep work for the dinner whilst she sent us to buy the groceries. I insisted I was fine on my own but she was even more stubborn and insisted that Lam followed me.

I sighed softly and off we went. It was awkward as we barely spoke. Once we got to the market, I gave him some things to buy whilst I went to get the rest. I came back 30 minutes later to see an empty handed Lam.

"Lam.. Where's the stuff?"

"Problem, not very good at identifying them. I tried to Google but they looked too similar."

I cocked my head in confusion hearing that. I brought him along as we shopped for the things I had asked him to buy. Lam looked carefully and took pictures for reference as I pointed things out to him. At one particular stall, it was very crowded. So Lam gently put his hand behind my back and steered me around the chaos. As I was busy searching for the tomatoes, he realized I was perspiring. He took the tissue out to dab my perspiration away. I looked at him in surprise at his gentleness. But he didn't realise and just continued. I looked away before he realised anything, feeling a faint blush over my face.

We got home about 2 hours later and I was happily tattle taling on Lam to her. He groaned and whined away. She decided to get him to cut some fruits for the salad. Whilst he was cutting, I heard a sudden abrupt yelp. I went out but silence. I looked and realized he had accidentally cut his finger.

"Lam!"

I quickly took out the first aid kit and applied the pressure and dressed his wound. I ensured I was gentle so it wouldn't sting more. I was cleaning everything up carefully and didn't realize that Lam was looking at me intently too.

And we both failed to realise we were being watched by an older woman who prayed that we would see each other the way she can.