Chapter 14

Riley

My eyes fluttered open to reveal more darkness. The blanket was now pulled up to my chin. I sat up and looked around, not seeing Tanner in sight. He's probably in his bedroom. There was a black pillow placed under my head and I caught sight of the history book that now laid on the coffee table. I looked towards the grandfather clock in the corner of the living room. 5:45

Stretching out my arms, I let out a long yawn. Despite me sleeping on a couch, I had slept peacefully. I got up and made my way into the kitchen, turning on the light in the living room as well as the kitchen. There was a sticky note on the fridge.

Good morning

I hope you slept well. I will be on patrol until 6 a.m. In the past, present, and future, you are welcome to anything in my home. I will help you move your items to your home when I return.

Tanner

I will wait for him so I can thank him again. I can't believe I fell asleep on his couch. That book was really good, but the day had caught up to me. I put the kettle on the electric stove and made my way to the bathroom. I finally brushed my hair and my teeth, just in time for the kettle to whistle. I turned off the stove and moved the kettle to another burner to stop the whistle.

Awkwardly, I went through Tanner's cupboards for a mug and tea. I easily found a plain white mug and found a box of oolong tea in the pantry. I smiled to myself, remembering the woman in the pizza parlor with Clyde. She had demanded oolong tea. I should check in on him.

I walked back to the couch to look for my phone. I saw it in the corner opposite the grandfather clock, charging. I saw a text from Leigh saying that Naomi was recovering from her cold and not to worry myself. "Thank you for letting me know. Love you lots. Call you later." I replied with a purple heart emoji.

I scrolled through my contacts and quickly found Clyde's. "Hey cowboy. Just making sure you haven't done anything stupid like break up with the love of your life." I typed as I went back to the kitchen. I dropped a tea bag into the mug and poured the steaming water over it as my phone dinged.

Hey doll. I would never. She's got me pussy whipped. I even spray the bathroom after I take a shit.

The text was followed by another with poop emojis and crying laughing faces. "Good. Cuz your shits smell like death." I texted jokingly. I put my phone on the counter as I went to look for a spoon. The first drawer I opened had all the oven mitts. The second had serving spoons. I found the silverware in the drawer by the refrigerator. I also saw a tea strainer in the same drawer, meaning Tanner has some loose leaf tea somewhere in this house. Ding.

My shits smell like roses. Can't say the same for urs

I rolled my eyes as I pulled the tea bag from my mug and tossed it in the trash. After stirring in some sugar, I grabbed the history book and made myself comfortable on one of the barstools. I turned through the pages, lightly blowing on my tea. I read through multiple pages about Sanguis's son by the time Tanner got home.

He smiled at me as he removed his shoes and placed them on the rack. "Good morning," he said warmly as he grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge. He was shirtless with a pair of basketball shorts hanging on his hips. He faced away from me, giving me a show of his muscular back flexing as he reached into the fridge.

I need to stop checking people out. Especially Tanner. He's probably as old as my dad. "Morning." I drew my attention back to my book. Why do all wolves have to walk around without shirts on? "How was patrol?" I asked, making conversation.