Chapter One

Her slender fingers glided over the strings, a silky melody caressing the air around them. With closed eyes, she plucked the strings of the guitar with such fervour, it was as though you could hear her soul through the melody. She allowed the melancholic tune to carry her away, like a feather in the wind. Away from the camp, weightless and free. When she opened her eyes, the emotion in the song was painted on the faces of the men that sat around the campfire. Some were closed, others staring off into the distance. She could see it, the pain, the fatigue.

It had been three months now and the platoon was struggling. It had taken them nine weeks to travel as far west as they could before a small Myrsa company had attacked. Myrsa soldiers had beaten them to the boarder and swarmed them. Men were lost. Maybe ten, maybe twenty. She wasn't sure at this stage, and she didn't want to dwell on it. She knew they were outnumbered three to one, and she was one of the lucky ones to live. Thankfully lieutenant Kane had called a retreat so that the rest of them could live a little while longer.

"Gods Morrington, play something with a bit more life in it!" Murray chimed from across the fire with a throaty chuckle. "It's getting pretty bloody bleak out here."

Lu tilted her head to the side and regarded Elijah Murray with a cocked eyebrow and an unimpressed expression on her face. Only Murray could get away with saying something so brash in front of a group of men who were still grieving their friends and cleaning the blood from their uniforms. One of those men beat her to a response.

"Pipe down Murray or I'll personally be sending your condolence notification home to your mum." The man sitting to Lu's right had lost his cousin in the fight. He was quiet most days, as was everyone. Everyone except Murray of course. He somehow always had a spark to him, even in the bleakest of times.

"Smith-"

"Alright Morrington, play something a bit more chipper." Lieutenant Kane chimed, cutting off Murray and most likely preventing a scuffle. Lu watched as the lieutenant took and swig from his flask and rolled her eyes before returning them to Murray. He winked, she scowled. Nevertheless, she strummed the tune she knew they would all enjoy.

It was the same song they had requested over and over and over for the past three months. By now she thought she could probably play it in her sleep. The melody was fast and light, weaving in and out of chords and building slowly to the crescendo that was sure to ignite the flame these men needed. The flame Lu had witnessed during training. When they danced their way through the gates of Tallok. When the youngest of the platoon; Johnny Williby was scared and missing his mother. And when Murray had lifted Lu to his shoulders in that bar full of soldiers and villagers so that everyone could see the music that brought a bit of light to such dark times.

It took longer than usual, but soon enough, one by one, each man and woman around the fire began to tap their foot. Sing along. Until everyone was on their feet once again, deep voices echoing through the air and serenading that silver orb in the sky that shone down upon them. Lu couldn't help the grin that cracked across her face at what her playing could do. At what music could do. And she couldn't help the giggle that snuck its way out of her chest when Murray locked eyes with her and belted the words to her. She cursed the butterflies that fluttered through her stomach.

Their eyes unlocked once Jones' coppery hair sliced between them, her bright smile coming into Lu's view. With fingers strumming, Lu's grin widened as she sang along with her friend who danced and spun before her. Raylie Jones was one of the few other women in their platoon. She was Lu's saving grace in this group of men, someone who made her feel like she belonged and never failed to have her back when Kane was in one of his moods or when Pops' stew was as bland as tree bark. Now, the bubbly red head sang along with Lu, a smile plastered on her face that could break hearts.