|Chapter Two, Wounded Dahlia|

Final Selection was more boring than I thought it would be. Compared to Muzan, most of the demons on the mountain were no more than ugly abominations of teeth and claws, easily killable. I would've preferred a challenge like, 'kill this twelve kizuki!' or 'fight this hashira!', but I guess not everyone enjoys challenges.

   I sat on the branch of my tree, the tree I'd been hanging around for a few hours. My feet kicked back and forth as I counted down the long minutes until I would head back down. The thought of a warm bath and a fulfilling meal slowly crept into my mind. Maybe this demon-slaying gig wasn't worth enough, how much did I get paid? Did I even get paid? While thinking about any salary I could earn, Hoshi sat up in my lap.

   Her ears folded back, and she hissed at something behind me. "Again? How many are there?" I mumbled, glancing over my shoulder as I grabbed my sword. Having Hoshi alert me of demons was useful, even though I knew I didn't need the help. The demon behind me wasn't like the others I'd seen, this one was big. Like the size of a hot air balloon. His sickly green skin was covered in bulging veins, its various arms wrapped around his body like a cloak.

   A kid was at its feet, passed out after being slammed into a tree. The boy's back was facing me, and I recognized him as the boy with unruly red hair and the blue cloud haori. I wonder what he looks like, I've only ever seen his back and the fox mask that hung on his face. The mask was now broken just out of the boy's reach.

   I watched, waiting for the demon to make a move. Soon, one of his hands shot out toward the boy, who jumped out of the way just in time. "Oh, I wish I had popcorn." Hoshi purred in agreement, shuffling closer to the edge of my lap to watch. Faint shuffling took my attention away from the boy and demon, towards a teen running away from the scene. He looked up at me, horror crossing his bloodied face.

   "What are you doing? Can't you be useful?" He exclaimed, motioning towards the fight as he scurried off. I blinked a few times, sticking my tongue out at his retreating figure. 'Don't expect me to do what you won't,' I thought bitterly. But Aki's voice echoed in the back of my mind in a scolding tone, 'be nice! That child is probably traumatized! And he is right, you are just sitting around doing nothing!' I groaned, I'd spent so much time around her that I was starting to get her voice in my head. I think I preferred the voice that told me to commit crimes.

   The boy held his sword tightly, cutting away the demon's arms quickly. It didn't seem fazed in the slightest, instead, two grew in the place of one chopped-off arm, like a hydra. The boy continued to deflect some attacks, before jumping in the air. Almost immediately, a few arms sprouted up from the ground, attempting to grab him. Taking the advantage of having his prey in the air, the demon attempted to grab him again.

   A loud boom sounded through the area as the boy headbutted the large hand, sending it falling to the ground. "Full of surprises, hm?" The action gave him enough force to propel him toward the demon's head. He scrunched up his body, avoiding actually touching his flesh. Drawing back his sword, the demon was decapitated in mere moments. Like the other demons on the mountain, as soon as his head stumbled toward the ground, his body faded into red ashes.

   There was a brief moment, before one of the few arms that the demon still had opened. I watched as the boy gently held it with both of his hands, resting his forehead against it. He only moved once the hand was gone, the only indication of the demon that once lived was the small dent in the ground that the boy made after he got flung around like a lifeless ragdoll. Silence took over the area as he looked into the forest in the distance. "I think now would be a good time to introduce myself..." I mumbled, Hoshi nodding and climbing up my shoulder.

   I grabbed my sword, lowered myself off the branch carefully, landing on my good leg (thankfully). I clapped as I approached the boy, startling him just slightly. "Good job, kiddo." I patted him on his back, looking at his face. He looked different from up close. His eyes were a deep red, sparkling like a beautiful ruby. Much better than those creepy's siblings. I looked him up and down, pretty muscular for a young teen, his hands were worn from constant training, a gash on his forehead. "Mind if I knock on your head?" Confusion crossed his face, but he nodded.

   "Hmm," I knocked a few times, it felt like knocking against concrete. "Well, that explains it!" I chuckled. "I'm L/n Y/n by the way." I extended my hand, smiling a bit wider as his warm hand engulfed my own.

   "I'm Kamado Tanjiro, it's a pleasure to meet you." He returned a smile as he spoke.

   "Sorry for not helpin', I just thought it'd be a good... learning experience." He chuckled and nodded. I was lying of course, but he didn't seem to know. I glanced around, the sun would rise in half an hour or so, and I had time to make at least one friend on this boring adventure. "So!" I exclaimed suddenly, snaking my arm around his shoulder. "Tanjiro, you don't mind if I chill here for a moment, do you?" He shook his head and I grinned. "Thank you, darling. By the way, while we're taking a moment," I looked over at his face, "has anyone ever told you how pretty you are?"

   Tanjiro's eyes went wide for a moment and his face flushed instantly. So he was easily flustered, noted. I leaned against him slightly, Hoshi climbing across my shoulder to rub her head against Tanjiro's red cheek. I let out a small laugh, letting him go. "I'll see you around, Tanjiro," I said as I walked away. I dug my sheathed sword into the ground as I walked away, pausing for a moment. "Oh," I turned to him, "and make sure to survive. I wanna see you again. Maybe at a restaurant, over a nice meal."

   "I- you be careful too!" He exclaimed.

   "No need, but thanks, Darling." I winked, making my way through the trees, downhill. 'Dahlia,' I thought to myself as I walked, 'he reminds me of a Dahlia.'