The Nest

Randy and Sally (FA-18E)

- Randy who works at the port normally takes a friend or gets a ride from a passing dire. But today was different. He decided to go old school and ride his bike. "Nothing like pedal power" he thought. Also today he wasn't feeling it. All that could go wrong did go wrong. And it was very obvious on his face. But he knew that soon he would be with the love of his life. Someone who loved him and vice versa loved him just as equal. He got to his destination which wasn't all that far from the port. Leaned the bike against the wall, punched in the code on the keypad door. The sound of heavy locks moving and he stepped over the bump on the floor. Flipping the light switch he heard the hum of large hanger lights starting to flicker on followed by the loud shut of the metal door followed by the thud that echoed in the hanger. As the lights turned on, there she was. Her vertical stabs with her rudders turned inward. Elevators down since she had relieved her hydro pressure. She wasn't just a jet. She was his love . Sally was a FA-18E super hornet.

"Babe!? Is that you!"

"Yes girl, yes it's me hun".

-she had a cover over her canopy and nose to somewhat protect her canopy from a pesky owl that would on occasion perch itself on the light in the center of the hanger. She grabbed the tarp as he placed his bag on the tool boxes on the side of the hanger.

"So babe! How was work today?"

"GraAa t"

-she couldn't see him till just after he said that and she instantly knew something happened.

"Aww honey!!! What happened? What can I do???"

"Nothing sal. I just don't know. I do everything I'm supposed to yet it's never good enough and I still get the shit on me. "

"Babe I know it's difficult but it's never you......okay? Heck look at me! I felt the same way! And that was years ago. But it was never me!"

-Sally although being a hornet was now demilitarized. She was unfortunately hit in a mock dog fight and hit with a dummy missile. A dent in her left wing along with countless paint scars was all that could be seen. Although she could heal herself. The navy decided to give her two options. Either they could fix her completely and she would never fly a real mission do to fears of stress fractures resurfacing. Or she could be separated from Active service which meant her M61 canon would be taken out and any hard points in her wings for weapons would be removed. Yet being separated she could do whatever she wanted too.

"Babe! If I may ask, what exactly happened? Did your boss get mad?"

"No hun, I had a coworker do some shit and he obviously didn't do a good job. And wrote down on paper that I did it. "

-he instantly looks down and started to somewhat tear up.

"Randy!!! Baby don't nooooo. Babe!"

-As she extended one of her tendrills. Wrapping it around him. And using bare metal tip of it to raise his head to look right at her.
"Look Babe I love you and sometimes the world sucks but even if the world is falling apart, never forget that I love you and once I get things finalized you are coming with me and we will go to places and see the world."

-This was a plan the two had drawn up. Sally obviously being a fighter had a plan of going to air shows and being somewhat of a static display and answering questions while Randy wouldn't only be her husband but mechanic and caretaker. The two of them would go places and see the world.  However the plan was always to make it to the RENO air races.  But just for the time being he had to work to pay some bills and she had to get some certifications from the FAA to use her afterburners for non military air demonstrations.

"Sally.... I love you"

" I loveeeee you to hun"

-she retracted her tendrill bringing him closer as he spread his arms wide open. The clunky thud of him slapping his hands on her aluminum skin sparked her lights to come on.

"Sal! I know your a plane and all. But I love you to high heavens and I can't wait for us two to get out of here"

"Babe! Me to. And I love you to the point you have no idea. Now quick!! Get changed. And let's go flying!!!! ".

"Haha Babe..........  You need the approvals first. But I Love you!!! "

 But I  Love you!!! "