Chapter 1: The quiet town

Ayaz Beg walked down the small bazaar of his hometown, a small suburb near the junction of the Mirpur and the Bhimber region. Fruit vendors dispersed away the flies from their fruits, as they repeated their usual old phrases, 

" fresh bananas, fresh apple, 100 rs a dozen, 120 rupees a kilo" 

The Upper Jehlum canal flowed peacefully, its water grey and deep, making some bubbles as it passed above the cement jumps in the structure.

Carrying a dozen bananas in his plastic bag, he looked at the water,  standing near the concrete barriers.

He reflected upon it, as it showed his face.

His face swimming above the surface of water waved.

A small cross showed in front of his face.

He waved his hand. But no effect.

It was something above. he tried to look up to the sky, and a deep vibrating sound was present up above. Sun was strong, so he could not peer for longer.

he looked around as the voice or the noise grew stronger. All the vendors were busy. Young boys wandered in and out of the stalls, laughing and running.

He again looked back into the water. the figure was much closer now.

he stepped back and went near a tree. Standing behind its branches, he drew out his android and started recording, looking deeply in the screen.

It was a plane.

"Okay, that's normal". he talked to himself as he closed the camera.

Just when he was about to turn around. Sirens hooted loudly, piercing the ear drums of everyone around.

BANGGGG.......

A bridge exploded flying debris everywhere. Ayaz crouched and clung to the old oak tree.

Sirens  made a racket, as people ran in panic. 

BANGGG..

This time headworks got lost in the cloud of smoke as almost everyone started running to the nearby shops in chaos.

Ayaz trembled behind the tree.

His phone buzzed.

He tried to swipe up the screen but dropped it. 

He looked around, many small planes were now flying around. They were clearly drones.

he lay on the ground on all fours and looked as much above as possible. 

Drones fired another projectile on a nearby automobile factory, a huge explosion, and the air become dense with smoke and the smell of metal.

The phone buzzed again.

" Everybody down, nobody moves, stay in your houses. I repeat again, dont move-out!"

A voice roared on loudspeaker.

Ayaz at once recognized it as his uncle Shahbaz, he was speaking from a nearby mosque.

Drones hovered for another one or two minutes and then vanished away in the skies.

Bazar was silent now. With only the sound of gushing water from damaged headworks and a distant fire.

People had run away.

He looked at his phone. Blew away the dust.

" Ayazzz,, pick up the phone"...

" Exit points of the state have been sealed. Power is out here for two days. There were aircraft up in the sky just now.....

Sardar Rehan, his friend from Poonch had messaged him.

" Aliabad, bazaar hit by missiles, canal headworks are blown.... what's going on..." Ayaz typed out of dusty, sweaty hands.

There was a pause in which Ayaaz looked around himself at the site of destruction.

After a few minutes. phone buzzed again..

" It means one thing.... WAR........"