Chapter Four: The Grey

Suddenly I felt like all the color was being drained from me. Probably because it was. I watched in horror as my body turned a dull grey. Mae and Bret had turned grey,too. Then I noticed something. Our necklaces were still glowing a vivid red, blue, and green.
"Wow," Bret said.
Mae looked at him. "Okay I guess I better start explaining.."
"Well duh!"
"Okay," Mae continued," We are three of the six keepers. We belong to a world where everyone has a specific duty, some assigned some destined."
My mind was already flooding with questions.
"In this world, there are three devisions. Seekers, Watchers, and Keepers. There are only six Keepers. We get chosen."
"So we are random people chosen to do what?" I asked.
"To keep the universe in tacked."
"What?"
"How?"
"Why us?"
Bret and I were just spitting out questions while Mae just sat there.
"What,"she said," Is the universe is very unstable. We have to protect it."
We nodded, still confused.
"How, we have powers."
That shook me up.
"What?! You expect me to believe we have POWERS?"
Mae nodded. That was annoying me, the nodding.
"Watch." With a wave of her hand, a sudden burst of blue came out of nowhere. It feed into its correct places. The sky, the water, Bret an I's eyes.
We stared at her in astonishment.
"You can do it too." She said pointing at us.
I didn't believe her, but I waved my hand in the same way. The color green filled its spots,too, including Mae's eyes. Then the color red can too.

My yellow shirt was still grey, though.
"What about the yellow, and orange, and purple?"
"I'm getting there," Mae said. "We all have our own dimensions. You saw them. But we don't just own the colors. We have the heat, light, dark,hurt, exc.. I can control the sea, Bret has the magma, lava, and fire, and you," she pointed at me," are the most important. You are in control of the animals, the people, when plants can grow."
I stared.
Bret did to.
I was starting to understand it.
"What about the other colors?"
"Now that is our problem." Mae sighed. "Don't freak out, but Morgan, Michael, and Alex have already been taking."
That caught me off guard. How does she know about Alex?
"H-How do you know Morgan?" Bret asked. "How do you know my little sister?"
"Because the is Purple." Mae pulled out three more necklaces. A purple, a orange, and a yellow." My little brother, Michael, is orange."
I knew what she was going to say, but I didn't want to hear it. But she said it.
"And Alex is yellow."

My mind was screaming.
" What do you mean about them being already "taken"?!"
Mae looked at me with sorrow in her eyes.
"The Stealers. They want all of our powers. They want to be in control. Our siblings are in the Under, with them in prison. We have to get them."
I started crying.
" Eva, don't forget, Michael is my brother. He's gone, too. You have to stay strong."
I nodded.
Mae also said Michael was in 9th grade, Bret informed us that Morgan was in 5th. I told them that Alex was only in 3rd.
"Okay," Mae started," We have to go see Queen Dyobie. She will give us directions, and our mission. We have to go. Now."
Suddenly I felt being thrown through the dimensions again, being taken to Queen Dyobie. Only then did I realize that Mae never answered "Why us?".