VIII

Jennie stood in front of their balcony door, taking in the beautiful surroundings and letting the sun's early rays surround her in their warmth. She was half tempted to actually go sit outside on the wicker furniture she was sure she'd picked out to furnish their small patio but decided against it, not wanting to worry Lisa if she woke up and didn't happen to see her as she passed by the kitchen. She took a sip from the steaming mug in her good hand and sighed happily, feeling something close to normal for the first time since before the accident.

She'd woken up about an hour earlier and after taking in the quiet within the walls surrounding her and hoping that meant Lisa was still asleep, decided to shower and get ready before venturing out for her morning coffee. She'd cut a whole thirty seconds off her shower time, which was fairly impressive and had even managed to dry her hair for the first time since being home.

Staring out at the gorgeous view, she wondered if this was the norm and smiled at the thought. It would be nice. Beautiful home, her dad and some of the most supportive friends she could ask for, a good job, which she was looking forward to getting back to soon. This could work.

She was pulled from her thoughts by the sound of a muffled grumble and the shuffle of feet behind her. Turning she saw Lisa shamble into the room, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and looking very much not yet awake. The sight warmed her further as this was the first time she'd seen Lisa without the makeup and fitted clothes, which she was really starting to appreciate. No, the girl before her stood, hair tousled, rumpled black tank top and soft cotton shorts, face free of any cosmetics.

And she's still so beautiful.

"Good morning," Jennie greeted her softly, giggling a little as her voice seemed to startle Lisa despite the fact that she was only a few feet away. The grunt she got in return only increased her amusement. Apparently, she really isn't a morning person. "I made coffee. Would you like some?" Lisa simply nodded and stumbled further into the kitchen, still swiping at her eyes and pushing the hair out of her face. Jennie laughed again, unable to help herself which caught Lisa's attention and she stopped completely, turning to face Jennie, frowning in confusion.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, sorry. Here, why don't you sit down and I'll get it for you," Jennie said, moving back towards the kitchen.

"Yeah, okay, thanks, cutie." Jennie glanced over as she grabbed one of the many mugs available from the cupboard and saw Lisa immediately cringe at her slip. Apparently, her brain was at least a little awake but her mouth hadn't quite gotten the memo. "Shit, sorry, Jennie."

"No, it's okay. Um, how do you take this?" she asked as she poured the roasted liquid into the mug she'd grabbed.

"Black."

Lisa sat at one of the stools and smiled her thanks as Jennie sat the mug in front of her, seemingly still a little embarrassed at her slip-up.

"So exactly how many nicknames do you have for me?" Jennie asked, attempting to lighten the mood as she slid onto the stool next to Lisa.

"Too many to count," Lisa said with a chuckle, glancing at Jennie for a moment before becoming serious again, turning her gaze back to the mug cradled between her hands. "I've really been trying not to... it just came out. Old habits."

"It's fine, really. I get it. You don't have to apologize." She reached out and placed a comforting hand on Lisa's forearm, watching Lisa turn to her curiously. "When I said what I did at the hospital... well, obviously I didn't know who you were at the time. I was confused and scared... and maybe a little feisty," she said, happy when Lisa finally genuinely smiled at her. "But you didn't do anything wrong. And maybe it would help, you know? If I heard you talking to me just like you normally would, maybe it'll spark something?"