Chapter 5

My mouth drop opens. I will be honest, I was intrigued with this man when we first made eye contact. Those green eyes could pull you into a trace you can never climb out of but after opening his mouth, all those feelings went away. I don't do assholes. I don't do bullies. I don't do any sort of harassment from anyone, even as simple as this.

"Excuse you?" I say. Alice grabs my arm in fear shaking her head.

"Get. Your. Hand. Off." He repeats. Emphasizing each word like I was five. A strand of his black hair falls in his face but he doesn't move. I want to move it for him, it has to be annoying. Nonetheless, his tone insulted me so right now, I just want to yank it, showing him that is no way to treat a lady. Silence falls onto the commons, the whispering stops. Only for them to hear clearly at mystery boy and I's conversation.

"Who do you think you are?" I question. I stand my ground, standing up straighter. I don't look intimidating at all, he towers over me. He has to be six feet or taller because I look like he could crush me like a grape beneath his foot.

"Clover..." Alice hisses.

"You don't know me?" He questions me back.

"Why would I care?"

Gasps erupts the commons. An array of 'She did not's and 'I can't believe her's. His eyes darken as they stare at me. An emotion waves through his eyes but I can't quite catch what it was. My hand still stands on the piano, getting sweaty. I don't take it off just at the fact that it bothers him so much. My anxiety pumps through my veins but that doesn't stop me from holding my ground. He continues to stare at me before he grunts and walks out the door. The room suddenly comes to life.

The chatter from everyone makes my anxiety go nuts, especially after that interaction. Everyone is talking about him... and me. At this new school I was hoping and praying I don't stir anything I didn't want to finish yet here I am. Stirring something I wasn't aware of.

Alice brings me back to reality after a few deep breathes trying to calm down. We are in the hallway now. I don't remember how I ended up here but I know it's a lot better than being crammed in the commons with everyone's whispers.

"You need to be careful Clover. That guy is bad news, you cross his path and you won't ever find yours again."

"He just seems like an asshole." I state.

"Shhhhh! He might be able to hear us. I heard from one girl that he has cameras everywhere, in the walls, making sure no one touches his piano."

"Is that piano really that special to mystery boy?" I ask.

"Mystery boy? Right, I forgot this is your first day. I honestly feel like I've know you forever though."

I nod awkwardly.

"Anyways, that is the son of the guy who owns this School. Denver Reed. Silver City's own notorious bad boy." She rolls her eyes, adding air quotes to 'notorious bad boy.'

"Cliche," I laugh. "Why was everyone freaking out about him. I don't see the big deal." That's a lie. I knew why everyone was freaking out. Everyone back at Jackson had that same reaction to me even though I did nothing wrong and I was never an asshole. The rumors of my father were good enough for people to classify me as dangerous. "Stay away from her," parents would say. It always hurt my feelings just a little but I finally learned to ignore it. Denver is also drop dead gorgeous.

"No one messes with him. He's bad news. Last time someone messed with him, they were sent to the hospital..." she explains. "But all the girls can't help but faun over him. I don't blame them, he's hot as fuck but still, I avoid him."

"What's so special about this piano? It looks expensive but that reaction was unnecessary."

"No one knows to be honest. We all just know that we aren't suppose to touch it. I don't get why either because we never see him play..." she shrugs.

"That's so odd..." I draw out.

"Yea well- just don't mess with him. I don't want to see you get hurt." I nod in response. We sit in the library in silence for a minute, pondering our thoughts. The bell rings, signaling the end of the school day.

"Well, I have to get home. I'll see you tomorrow!" Alice gets up and leaves leaving me alone. I sigh in relief, able to finally breathe. Today has been the most socially draining day I have had in a long time. I tilt my head up and close my eyes, taking deep breathes counting to ten.

My mother taught me this trick. I've used it since I could remember. She always said 'You have to keep your emotions under control.' I knew I had bad anxiety I just never knew how bad. There was one instance that I can't remember, and mom won't tell me but I know it ended badly. Since then, mom has been on my butt about being under control. It's just been engraved in my head at this point.

Pondering on these thoughts, I didn't realize a figure had been hovering over me. I open my eyes and I'm met with those bright green ones I've grown annoyed with. I groan in response to him standing over me.

"What do you want?" I ask. He walks over to the other side of the hallway, sitting down in front of me. He stares at me intently and I start to fidget under his gaze.

"Don't touch my piano." He states. I roll my eyes.

"Gathered that, won't ever happen again oh great one." I sarcastically answer.

"I'm serious. You can't play it. You shouldn't play it." He leans back, placing his hands behind his head.

"Why not? It's in the commons, it should be able to be played." I cross my arms. His gaze travels down before reaching my eyes again.

"They can, just not you." He states smugly.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" I ask him, irritated.

"Denver Reed. But you already knew that didn't you, Lucky?" He winks.