Chapter 13

"Crouch down and touch your nose to the water, and hurry. We can make it back before Moonhigh but not if you keep dawdling!" Redfeather urged Patchdusk. Crouching, Patchdusk lapped up a few drops of the icy water and lowered her head. She closed her eyes and opened them to find herself in a grassy dip. A large orange tom stepped forward, his green eyes filled with sadness and anguish. Behind him sat a small white she-cat with blue eyes, a tiny white-and-gray she-kit tumbling around her paws. "Dragonstar," Patchdusk meowed in surprise. "Welcome, Patchstar. You have done well within the Clan, and I am honored to give you your first life. But first I have a request to make," Dragonstar adds, his voice softening. "What is it, Dragonstar?" Patchdusk meowed, flicking her ears in wonder. "When you return to the camp, name Scarstorm your first deputy. You do not have to keep him as the deputy if he does not fit the job, but please give him a chance. It will help you make up for more than you realize," Dragonstar dipped his head and padded forward. He mewed, touching her forehead with his nose, he meowed, "With this life, I give you bravery. Never back down from a fight worth having." an extreme pain seared through Patchdusk as Dragonstar stepped back and padded into the crowd of cats. Another cat, this one a dappled she-cat, stepped forward. "Leopardspeck!" Patchdusk exclaimed. "Welcome." Leopardspeck meowed, touching her nose to Patchdusk's head in the same way Dragonstar had. "With this life, I give you determination. Use this gift well when defending your decisions and never let others sway you from what you know is right." As she stepped back a small tom trotted up to Patchdusk. "Hi!" Blackberrykit squeaked, his tiny tail stuck straight out. "With this life, I give you judgment. I failed to have good judgment and I died because of it. Be smart and don't do anything mouse-brained." Blackberrykit stepped back as a warm, slightly painful blaze swept through Patchdusk.  The next cat Patchdusk recognized. The large, handsome orange tom stared at her through clear green eyes. "Welcome, our  new leader of ThunderClan." He rumbled. "With this life, I give you justice, to judge all your Clanmates fairly." This time, a warmth spread through her, more healing than painful. Firestar stepped back, and Squirrelflight stepped forward. "With this life, I give you a mother's love.  May you treat every cat, whether your kin or not, with equal caring and appreciation." With every life, Patchdusk felt stronger. The delicate white she-cat next to Dragonstar padded forward. "I am Ruby, Dragonstar's mate as a kittypet. I died giving birth to our kits, and while I do not have a life for you, I am honored to meet you. Scarstorm is in love with you, remember that. You have a life prophecized together." Leafpool stepped forward, nodding at the white kittypet. "Patchstar, with this life, I give you the gift of tireless energy, so that you may run your Clan the way it needs." energy burst in Patchstar's muscles, and she felt as if she could run all the way to the mountains and back without stopping. The next cat made Patchstar's heart skip a beat. A large yellow she-cat padded up to Patchstar, her ribs hidden now by a healthy pelt. "Sunny!" Patchstar exclaimed, throwing herself at her mother. Behind Sunny sat all four of Patchstar's siblings. "Patchstar, I am so very proud of you. I gave my life protecting all of you from the perils of the world, although I seem to have failed your siblings. I need you to know who your father is. His name is Stryker, but even StarClan doesn't know if he lives or not. If you find him, you will know. With this life, I give you foresight. Predict your choices and the consequences before you act." Patchstar didn't even feel the life. She knew who her father was!