The Gifted

Gifted ch.1

            I spun around in a hopeless attempt to find the voice. It echoed from somewhere in the fog where he could not see. The voices echoed through the clearing, but the words were not only on the outside they were inside my head.

            “You can’t hide from what you are!

            “They are coming!”

            “Be ready!”

            “Be ready for what?” I screamed back at the voices.

            The voices now became a jumble of incoherent whispers. They were becoming louder, closer. I collapsed to the ground covering my ears in an attempt to block out the voices but they were in my head. “What do you want?” I screamed tears beginning to run down my face. “What do you want from me?”

            The voices continued to move closer, they were almost right in front of me. I closed my eyes.

            “Chris, Chris, CHRIS!”

            I shot up from my bed as my mother yelled from somewhere downstairs.

            “Chris you are going to be late to school!”

            “I’ll be down in a minute mom!” I yelled down the stairs.

            I stared over to my alarm clock which now glowed 7:00 am. I groaned as I got up and began to dress for school. I quickly threw on a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I laced up my converse grabbed my back pack and ran down the stairs to meet my mother in the kitchen.

            I was rounding the corner when, “Surprise!” I was greeted by my entire family in the kitchen which had been decorated with a banner that read, “Happy 16th birthday!”

            “Thanks you guys,” I smiled at my family I really was surprised. As a matter of fact I had actually forgotten today was my birthday.

            My mother greeted me with her customary hug and warming smile, “your welcome sweetie, happy birthday!”

            I returned my mothers hug and managed to give my dad a hug as he hurried out the door seeing as he was already running late for work. I sat down at the table and began to eat my birthday breakfast of pancakes and eggs.

            I stared across the table at my older sister Trish. I cracked a good morning grin at her but she just grunted and turned the other way to ignore me. Trish and I used to get along fine but ever since I came out of the closet last summer she and I had quickly grown apart. I guess that’s what happens when you live in a small town.

            I quickly finished my pancakes and began to head for the door. “Bye mom I’ll see you after school. Thanks again for the breakfast.”

            “Ok honey, see you when you get home.”

            I immediately noticed the thick bank of fog when I walked out of my house, I mean how could I not, it was everywhere and looked exactly like the fog in my dream. I walked down towards the bus stop and waited. Luckily I was the only one at this stop so I didn’t have to deal with any hicks or anything but that was soon to change.

            When the bus arrived I stepped on and was immediately attacked by a variety of different names, all of which I had heard before. I sat in the very back by myself which I preferred because it meant I did not have to deal with any of these people.