Chapter Thirty-eight

Guiltia frowned. "Angelique, is something the matter? You've been looking thoughtful ever since we came back."

One evening, Guiltia decided to voice out his concern when he and Angelique were on the roof together. Angelique, who was tending to the flowers, looked startled.

"Why do you say that?"

"I know there's something weighing on your mind. If it's too burdensome then share its load to me." He turned around to sit on the piano bench while facing her. 

Of course... This matter involves him too. He should also know. . .

"Actually... it's something Carmilla told me." She met his curious lavender orbs. "Women can be turned into vampires."

"She must be-" He got cut off before he could finish saying what was on her mind. "She's not joking. She was serious, I could tell."

"Angelique, clearly she has tricked you. You're aware of how I failed to turn Kotomi into a vampire."

"Turning a female is a different process. A much cruel process." She pleaded, "Hear me out first, please?"

"Fine."

". . . . When Carmilla appeared in my dreams, we had a talk about female vampires. She told me many things I wasn't aware of before. Like, the vampire royal family, purebloods, the secret of turning women and the consequences of it. Apparently, women, who decide to turn, have to give up their humanity and suffer hellish pain. Many have lost their lives at the time of turning."

She elaborated further while he quietly listened to her. He could conclude that she wasn't lying when she looked so torn at the cruelty of the transformation.

"That's why. . . . I've been thinking about this." Her quiet voice made him narrow his eyes. He had a bad feeling he knew what was coming. "Now that I know the secret behind female vampires, she told me to make a decision that I won't regret."

"If I continue to stay as a human, I'll ultimately pass away, leaving you behind. . . If I become a vampire, I can stay with you forever; the only trouble is the turning process."

His expression was stoic. After hearing her out, something was gnawing inside him.

She smiled dryly. "I've been considering these possibilities for.... one month? And I think I've come to my conclusion."

Guiltia didn't want to hear it.

". . . . . I want to become a vampire."

He was quick to react with a stern look. "No, I won't allow it."

"Guil?" He stood up from his seat and walked in her direction. Once he was near her, he loomed over her in an act of intimidation. 

"I won't allow you to become a vampire," he repeated himself.

Of course, his trick didn't work on his wife. "Why? Is it because you don't trust Carmilla?"

"That's one reason but I won't let you endanger your life for something so uncertain."

"But it's the only way for me to be with you all!" She protested. "If I become a vampire, I'll have eternity just like all of you."

He glared coldly. "If your reason is eternity, then I'm against this idea even more. The world of eternity is not suited for you. Your place lies among humans."

"You're being unreasonable." She frowned. "Eternity isn't my target. I want to become a vampire to be with you guys."

"No matter the reason, I won't allow you to do something so risky. You're not thinking this thoroughly. According to Carmilla, the transformation process might even kill you."