The Search

(DISCLAIMER) This series is still being updated regularly with new chapters coming out, so id suggest (if your invested) to favorite this or whatever you do that notifies a update. It might be grammatical errors corrected or a whole new chapter being released, but none the less itll be updated frequently! Enjoy!

(Type of dialogue)
" -Normal conversation
'" -Radio
*" -Speaking internally (Thinking)
~" -Sign Language

|December 15th, 1978|

It was a sunny day in Washington State, the leaves were blowing in the wind. A man in a green M65 Commando cotton coat with blue jeans walked down a gravel road, his brownish black hair slightly moved in the wind. He walked down a hill overlooking the lake. The stranger approached a older woman whom was hanging up laundry.

"Excuse me uh, can you tell me if Delmare Berry lives here?" The man asked, pointing to a house. The woman glanced up, then replied.
"He's not here." The lady glanced at her child. "Go on inside." The teenager nodded, and entered the shotgun shack, not before glancing at the stranger.
"Well he's a friend of mine, he wrote the address for me himself." He pulled out a piece of paper, which was party crumpled. "Here's his handwriting, see?" The older lady looked at the address, then remarked back in a dry tone. "Mhm that's Delmare's handwriting." The gentlemen nodded as he started sounding a bit more cheery. "Yes we're friends.. uhm, my name's John Rambo. We were apart of baker team in Vietnam." He gestured his hands as the taller man spoke, as to show a bit through body language.

"Maybe he mentioned me, I've got a photo of us both." Rambo put his hand in his pockets and started rummaging through it, pulling out cigarettes, and other things he kept on his person. "Somewhere." He noted as John moved towards his back pockets. "All this junk in my pocket!.." John jokingly said, before finally pulling out the photo. It looked taken care of, with a bit of fraying on the corner. "Here... here it is. That's me, that's Danforth, Westmore, Bronson, Ortega, and at the back is Delmare. He had to stand at the back, or he'd have filled the whole picture heh.." The man pointed with his finger of who was who, and chuckled when he explained the last bit. The woman nodded, then looked to the side with a odd look. "Delmare's gone." Rambo quickly replied, hoping that his comrade was out on a errand, or a vacation.. the man hopped it wasn't what his gut said.

"When's he coming back?" The lady finally replied with a grim look, her eyes looked like his question scratched at a healing wound. "He died." The vet's expression stayed the same but deep down, the sinking feeling finally hit rock bottom. This was the last member of his group who survived to come back home, and Johnny knew this would've happened sooner or later. "..What?" She responded with ebbing sadness in her tone, as she explained. "He died last summer." John questioned further, wanting to know what exactly happened. "How?" She replied as the laundry was almost fully pinned, grabbing the laundry pins from her dress. "Cancer." The woman shook out another shirt as she explained, it seemed to be a bit easier to talk about it while doing the chores.

"Must have got it in 'Nam.. from the orange stuff they sprayed 'round there." She started pinning the shirt up, as Rambo listened with his bottom lip trembling a bit before being bit from the inside. "It cut him down to nothin'!" After the woman explained to him what happened, John looks down at the ground and sighed.  "I'm real sorry." He gave the photo to the widow with a soft grip, then turned around and started walking up the hill. The man threw away some of his junk in the bin, as he traversed up.

As the temperature slowly went down, Rambo walked alongside the road, blowing into his hands for heat sometimes. As he walked, the man came across the small, quaint town of Hope....

(Hello! This is my first ever story published here on Wattpad, feel free to critique it to yer hearts content! I'll be going through First Blood Part 1, Part 2, and Rambo 3. Maybe ill do 4 and 5? Im not too fond of those but if it'll appease you guys, ill do it :] )