Chapter Three

Ian was behind me once again when I stepped outside into the sun; his palm caught the door as it was closing. He followed me outside of the building.

For the rest of the twenty blocks to work, I acted as if I did not have a shadow, an Ian Star shadow.

I left him lurking outside of Sterling Law; as I walked inside, I wondered if I would need to call someone about him. Maybe after so many years of being gone, he did not know how to act in society.

"Who is that?" Carol, the lady training me, asked, looking outside in the corridor at Ian.

"I don't know," I lied, shrugging like I didn't know who he was and why he was here; only part of that was a lie.

"That's a shame. That face... Here is the coffee list; make sure that the first one is done to a tee." Carol, who was still staring at Ian, handed me a forty and walked away; her eyes glanced outside one last time.

His footsteps were hard to hear with everyone walking around me, but I knew he was there.

I headed inside the coffee shop to get the five drinks I was in charge of today. I wondered what it would be like to have someone who was in charge of getting me coffee.

Ian was leaning against the side of the building when I departed the coffee shop carrying the five coffee drinks.

He looked like he didn't have anything in the World to worry about. He smiled at me when my eyes met his. There was wickedness to his smile; however, he knew he was annoying me.

"What do you want?" I whirled on him, some of the coffee splashing over the lids. I would have to wipe them off before I delivered them.

"To get the next two months over with." He said as if I was the one making him follow me around.

"Why now? It has been weeks."

He hesitated. A woman and a child walked by us, and he moved closer to me so they could walk around us.

"I was out of range. I didn't know about... It doesn't matter. I am here now."

I laughed. "So much Brent in you, and I haven't even known you for twenty-four hours."

His eyes narrow on my words as if he was offended.

He grumbled something under his breath as I walked the rest of the way to my job in silence, with him trailing me.

When I got to the door, Carol stopped me again. "Are you sure you don't know that man? He is outside again."

"What room do these go to?" I asked her, not wanting to answer any more questions about Ian.

With how much she was staring, she may figure out who he actually was.

It would have been nice to finish out this temp job. It was a desk job. It was easy enough, and the days would go by quickly.

The part I was not looking forward to was what I was now having to do. It would have been easier not to show up the following day. Or I could send an email in, but I was here now.

I knocked at Carol's office.

"Come in. How was the first day?"

I winced. "That's why I'm here.."

She cut me off before I could get my reasoning for coming out.

"You are quitting."

I shook my head. "I'm so sorry.."

She cut me off again. "You are writing that man's father's biography, who also happens to be Brent Star." She had pointed to Ian, who was now sitting on the bench outside of Sterling Law.