1. BEAM EFFECT

sabrina

"what did you do to make him feel this way?" tatyanah, my best friend, questions me while we all stand in my bare kitchen. my phone continually rings, i don't even check it anymore because i know who it is.

at first i want to tell her the truth but then i see gia walk from the living room closer to the kitchen. i know gia would never tell my business to her brother, but she has her ways.

instead of directly telling lorenzo, she'd tell her mother & she'd do the dirty work while gia keeps her hands clean.

"nothing bad. at least i don't thi-" i'm interrupted by gia before i could finish my sentence.

"uriel won't eat her lunch and wants to go to sugar factory instead. i just wanted to ask and make sure it was okay with you?" she asks, still walking up, fidgeting with her fingers.

"yeah it's okay. i know you have your temps & everything but ask benito, your bodyguard to take you."

"okay i will." gia cut the conversation short, turning to rummage in the fridge. there's not much in there because i just moved. there's only breastmilk & a few snacks.

"gia, can you bring me back food too? i can text you what i want." tatyanah asks her, then says to me "when are you gonna go to the store? i can see why uriel doesn't want to eat her lunch." she says with a light chuckle.

i laugh back & we create small talk until gia finishes what she's doing.

"can i take cario with us too-" "sure-" "i don't want him to be here when cane comes."

we both blurt at the same times. she immediately covers her mouth, as if it was something i wasn't supposed to know.

lorenzo is very predictive. i knew he was gonna show up eventually. i didn't think he would get his fifteen-year old sister involved in our issues though.

"um-" i interrupt gia, she doesn't have to explain herself. "it's okay, i knew he was going to come eventually. you can take cario with you. do you want me to pack his diaper bag for you?"

"i already did it." gia smiles while tatyanah looks between the both of us, obviously confused. gia comes closer to me, standing beside me & giving an awkward hug before she practically runs back outside.

"anyways." me & tatyanah both say in unison.

"bestie, are you sure you haven't done anything to upset his mentally ill, needs to be in an asylum, serial killing ass? i don't want to be next on his list if he finds out i'm trying to help you." she almost sounds concerned but i know she's just joking.

"girl i swear i didn't. i really don't know what he's upset about. that's why i haven't been answering. you know i don't run away from my problems with him." i sound in a know-it-all tone.

"i just don't know..." she trails off.

my phone begins to vibrate, alerting me someone's texting me.

i hold my phone up for tatyanah to see- she rolls her eyes, realizing it's lorenzo texting me.

i click into the messages, they aren't typed, but voice messages instead .