Children by the River

Preface: A hardworking employee with very low salary works, he is always verbally abused by his boss and colleagues, he has to work hard every day without any appreciation or bonuses, he lives alone in 2 room apartments, He is very lonely. By the day he was walking by the river, he saw 3 kids running.

As I saw the children running, I saw the terror in their eyes, Not the joy of running around as a game, I put my bag down on ground and rush to them.

Before I could I ask, they started yelling "SNAKE!!! SNAKE!!! HELP US MISTER!!!"

I took out my phone and immediately called help, help arrived in hour and the snake was captured to be taken to wildlife, The place he belongs, it was almost night, The children left area until then.

"What a messy day" I shrugged and walked to my home. The same repetitive life, wake with sleepy eyes, brush tooths and put dress with tie, go to work, it has been a while with this routine.

Just daily life, I didn't able to complete PPT file of this week's sale, life has become pretty slow paced. A hopeless loop this has become, how many days it has been I ate in any shop? Feels an eternity.

With my usual route, I was walking by the river again. I saw those 3 children, waiting for someone by the side of the road. I continued walked near them, they approached and said "Thank you!".

It didn't really feel like a big deal, but still, thank you is Thank you, "your welcome" I say and continued to walk off...

Other day...

I met them again. This time they started to walk with me, I was already tired from work, they were very clingy, "What job do you do mister?"

They asked very politely, I didn't mean anything wrong, But I honestly replied "Work of slaves", They were stunned for a second but 1 kid honestly told me as well "Sounds better then school"

"Huh?" I asked, before they could answer, the boundary of their freedom to roam was finished, they returned and I was still in confusion of that answer, how can school be hard? I aced every exam, so I think it is pretty easy to attend school.

It's been a while since I had feeling of thrill and confusion at the same time.

Other day...

I was returning at the end of day, all in hope to find answer, I see those children once again, I approached them, without hesitation asked "Why do you think school is harder than working job?".

Child replied with smile "At least you are allowed to move on your will, you have just 1 subject which is your responsibility, we have to take care of 7 subjects, HOW UNFAIR!!".

Other one said "Yes-yes school is much harder, we have to give exams after learning, you don't have to give exams, I wish I just grow up quickly and work a job like you"

Other one said as well, "You get paid for your hard work, we don't get paid for thing like that, we instead pay school"

But-...Before I could answer it not true, they started ranting about their school, I tried to make them understand that school just wanted them to have a brighter future, but they won't listen a single word.

"You know how much homework mathematics sir gives us??? 30 whole questions, who could solve that in such less time???" Said in very disapproval and disappointing tone.

Before I could answer all of that, the boundaries of theirs touched once again and they had to go back.

That day I didn't slept till 3 am, I was completing PPT, which I didn't due, it was just given to me 3 hours ago, and I have prepared it exactly tomorrow. I was at very sleepy and tired mood.

Other day...

I was returning, this was one of cloudy day due to night rain of yesterday I guess, I see kids once again, before they could rant their school, rather I started ranting about my boss...

"He yells for no reason; He has nothing to do except yelling on innocents" In very aggressive voice

"Our teacher is too like that, she is always angry, never teaches us any useful thing" Agreeing with me

"Yes, they don't have any job except just to be angry" others too agreed

We were all ranting about problems and annoying people in our life, how we don't get enough to sleep, food, time, holidays, etc...

Days passed, we sometimes go to smalls shops, I didn't knew how many years it has been since I had friends to hang out, even if they are 11 year olds, the company of little fellows felt better then colleagues of my office

Just after day of children result...

"I never knew you could teach that good mister" praising me for teaching them, felt proud in very while...

Before we could start saying things, the child said...

"Mister, it is really amazing how we think that being grown, all problems disappear, and you being grown upped, you still have problems, but you think being child makes all problems disappear, but our problems are not even close to finish" In very peaceful voice, sounded like he is done with saying bad to other people.

"I think we all have problems, don't we? We just need to find someone who could hear them and help to solve them, being adult or child, Problems never stops coming"

My eyes were wide opened... I realized where was I, I finally realized where I belonged...

That night, we had a lot of fun, their friends too came, we all had a party celebrating the results, they all were very happy that there someone who understands that they too have problems and stress...

I got to home and slept, Boss called me to come to work on Sunday, I ignored him, wrote a resigning letter at night, packed my back and left that apartment...

I got to children, those 3 were waiting, as usual, it has been a month I was with them, I sat on my knees and said...

"Thanks for telling me a very important lesson of life"

Children looked confused, they asked "What happened mister?"

I replied with smile... "You will understand when you will be grown like me, take my Thanks, may we meet again" ...

"After all, we all need someone to hear our problems, right?"

-By Pranav khande