Chapter 18-"The Dark Caves"

*Third Person's Pnt. Of View*

In the dark, early hours of the morning, Melinda led Potiphas to the Dark Caves, home of Jonathan, a hybrid who's vampiric sides were dominant, while his wolf blood was recessive. He was a dangerous creature. Powerful and influential in the hybrid and rogue community. He considered himself king of the rogues for both wolves and vampires. In the various chambers of his rocky abode, he housed creatures of both kinds. It was the place Melinda called home before she ventured out into the world to make her own empire.

Melinda entered the caves, and as soon as the guards noticed her, they sneered and hissed but didn't dare keep her from coming in.

Melinda held her head high and walked straight with Potiphas behind her. News of her arrival travelled from the mouth of the cave and deep into the rocky fortress. Vampires and wolves began to emerge from every crevice of the place, like worms and maggots in rotting carcasses, and they all stared on at the marvel of Melinda, who dared to step foot back in Jonathan's lair.

She had been their queen once. Mated to Jonathan, Melinda was the second most powerful hybrid in the Dark Caves. She had been in love with him, and he promised that he loved her just as much. While the wolves and vampires in the caves had the freedom to hump and pounce on anyone they liked, Jonathan declared Melinda for himself, and him for her alone. Until it wasn't so.

Melinda didn't care for the whispers and pointing fingers which grew around her. She knew that one growl from her, and they would all hurry to hide from her. Even after more than three years away from the caves, she was still confident that none of the wolves could take her on, and neither could the vampires. The only worthy opponent was Jonathan himself, and she wasn't afraid of him. In fact, she despised him.

Melinda's mouth filled with a sour, bitter bile. Her fingers tightened, but she forced herself to relax her muscles. She couldn't appear tense. She had to remain in control. Melinda told herself this.

Jonathan was being fed grapes by a perky, petite vampire perched on his lap, while a tall busty blonde rubbed his shoulders, when one of his guards rushed into his private chamber in the cave to announce Melinda's arrival.

Jonathan stopped the massage and crunched the grape with its seed in between his teeth. He was a dark-haired tall man, with eyes black as night and white fangs sharper than silver needles.

When Melinda entered Jonathan's throne room also known as his debauchery room, Jonathan smiled and shoved the petite woman off his lap.

"Out. All of you." He ordered while holding eye contact with Melinda.

The half-naked girls who had been littering the floor of Jonathan's cave all hurried out of the room. The curtain which separated Jonathan's room from the rest of the caves was pulled closed, and Melinda, along with Potiphas were closed in with Jonathan.

"Didn't think I'd ever see you again." Jonathan greeted Melinda.

Melinda didn't say anything to Jonathan. She showed no emotion and simply turned and faced Potiphas.

"I did my part. Have fun giving each other hand jobs. I'll wait outside." Melinda expressed calmly, then she side-stepped Potiphas and aimed to leave.

"No. STOP!" Jonathan suddenly boomed, making Melinda freeze right at the curtain.

Jonathan cleared his throat, his fingers tightening. He inhaled proudly when he saw Melinda stop, though the vein on his forehead swelled close to popping.

"Is that the proper way to greet me Melinda?" Jonathan asked, "especially after so much time apart?"

Melinda smiled and scoffed, but she didn't answer. She lifted her hand and pulled the curtain back.