Chapter Two

II / What Targaryens Must

    While they walked back to the boys' chamber, Rhaelys skipped ahead in front of her parents. Her mother was not smiling and neither was her father, but Rhaelys paid them no attetion. She only paid any thought of mind to her sister, who was currently tucked away safely inside her own arms.

When they entered the chambers, Jace, Luke and Joff were nearly screaming. Her brothers, sweet as they were, were not being quiet, but they never were, so Rhaelys was not really surprised. They were with Ser Erryk Cargyll, a Knight of the Kingsguard in Rhaenyra's chamber. "And he sees a big, scary, dragon!" Jace exclaimed and Rhaelys smiled at the sound of her little brother's voice.

Rhaelys was a lot of things, but she wasn't blind she saw the way her mother and Ser Harwin looked at each other. "Mother, father, sister!" Jace exclaimed as he, Joff and Luke got up and walked over to the little heat place where they had put the egg for their new brother.

"We chose an egg for the baby," Luke said as Rhaelys hugged her little brothers. "That looks like the perfect one," Rhaenyra said as Harwin helped her sit down. "I let Luke choose," Jace said and Rhaelys rolled her eyes. "Only because I told you to, Jace," Luke smiled and thanked both of his siblings. 

"Thank you Jace, Rhae," Rhaelys could never think ill of her brothers, because they would always be her brothers. "For the next babe, I get to choose the egg!" Joffrey exclaimed loudly. "Jace promised me that, mother." Rhaenyra smiled at her youngest son as Joff jumped up and down with joy and excitement.

They were her little brothers and she would forgive them anything. "Not every day an egg leaves the dragonpit, Princess. I accompanied the lads, so they would be safe and sound for you." Ser Erryk Cargyll said. Like Harwin was Rhaenyra's sworn sword, Ser Erryk was Rhaelys'. And he was like an elder brother to her.

"Laenor and I thank you, Ser Erryk," Rhaenyra told Harwin, Harwin walked in as Erryk left the room. "A second girl, I heard. You will have quite the full house now," Rhaelys thought of it and he was right. Now it was her, Jace, Luke, Joff and Daera. And that wasn't even counting their dragons.