Chapter Three

III / Mother Knows Best

    "Aegon told us too, Rhae. He didn't give us a choice." Rhaelys knew that her brothers oft acted as Aegon's puppets, as his playthings, but she is sure they could have refused him. They could have come to her for help but they didn't. "Why can't the two of you speak up to him, then? He isn't your master," Though she acted angry with them, the look on Luke's face was enough for Rhaelys to forgive him. And Jace, too.

They were her baby brothers. And there was nothing they could do to make her hate them. Even something as stupid as this. And in the back of her mind, she knew they were right. Aegon had put them up to this, and they had gone along with it since they worship him.

"Do you promise you won't do something like this again? Do you promise to be nice to Aemond from now on?" Both boys nodded, and Rhaelys smiled. "I'm still going to tell mother, but I'm also going to tell Queen Alicent. Her son had a bigger part in this than the two of you, I gather." They both sheepishly nodded, looking a little guilty.

"Why don't you go and find Joffrey? And I'll go find Mother, and speak with her about it." Luke nodded and ran off, while Jace stood there still. "She's going to be angry." Rhaelys shook her head. "Mother is never angry with us, Jace, you know that. We are her children." Jace held her hand shortly. "Yes, but what Luke and I did was wrong. Aegon told us it would be funny and in the moment perhaps it was, but his reaction wasn't funny. It made me feel bad."

"That tells you that you are sorry for what you did, Jace. And that is a fine quality. When you are grown, please remember to sometimes say you are sorry, if you've done something wrong." Now her brother smiled as well and chased after Luke, and Rhae could see them finding Joffrey and walking off with him.

Rhaelys sighed as she knocked on her mother's door. "Come in," She heard Elinda's voice tell her. Lady Elinda Massey was the youngest of her mother's ladies. To Rhaelys' thirteen, she was only eighteen. Sort of a big sister to her, who had been there since Rhaelys' eighth name-day. "Mother, there was an incident in the Dragonpit," Though her mother had only given birth hours ago, here Rhaelys was again, bothering her.