Chapter Five

V / Not Strong Enough

    Rhaelys knew that her brothers would miss Harwin. And mayhaps she would too.

Her mother loved him. Her brothers loved him. Daera too would one day love him, once she knew what love even meant.

But Rhaelys just didn't. She loved her father too much to care for any other man. Her brothers didn't share that same bond. They usually were busy with their mother, or when they wanted their father, he was too busy entertaining one of his young squires.

"Be good to your brothers, princess," He smiled at her, and took a light bow. Her entire childhood, the relationship she had had with Ser Harwin had been rather informal, so she didn't quite understand why that was changing now, as he was leaving for his homestead of Harrenhal. Harrenhal quite scared Rhaelys. She was her mother's daughter, a dragon rider, and yet she was still scared of that haunted place her ancestors had burned to the ground years ago.

"You will visit us, though?" Rhaelys asked him, her hand on Luke's shoulder. Her brother could barely hold in his tears. Rhaelys barely understood why he was leaving, so Lucerys must have even less of an idea why. She could only hope it had nothing to do with her and Jace, and their incident in the yard.

"I'll visit when I can," Luke didn't seem to understand all that was going on. Jace, on the other hand, knew exactly what was happening and what people said of him and Luke. "But that may be some time," Rhaelys knew her brothers would miss Harwin terribly. Joffrey had been so sad that he fell asleep crying. He was asleep in his chamber. He barely understood that Harwin wasn't coming back.

He first told her how to hold a sword and how to stand her own. He always treated her like the warrior he knew she could be, instead of a helpless little girl. And for that, she was grateful to Ser Harwin.

Jace walked to Rhaelys and hugged her as Rhaenyra looked to her children with sadness. "Jace," She said, as she cooed little Daera in her arms. Harwin walked to to him, trying to give the boy comfort one last time. "I will return," Jace nodded, as Harwin held Jace's chin. "I promise," Rhaelys knew that oft people did not do as they promised, so she just had to trust that Harwin Strong was a man of his word.