Immutable

Maybe it's the way Ji-wan looks at her when Sol speaks the words. "My feelings will never change."

Maybe it's the way Ji-wan's breath hitches when Sol wraps her in a hug, even if Ji-wan doesn't return the contact. Or how her shoulders finally relax when Sol reassures her. "So don't worry."

Or maybe it's just the whole impossible confluence of events that led the two of them to this moment - here, on this swing set where they first became friends - so Sol can't help the dumb smile on her face. She breathes in the scent of Ji-wan's hair, pulls back to look at her and the glint of almost tears in her eyes. And even though Sol has never wanted to kiss anyone more than in that moment, she leans in to deliver another hug.

Ji-wan reciprocates this time.

When Sol feels the arms clasp around her back, she settles her chin against Ji-wan's shoulder, runs a hand down Ji-wan's hair. They've hugged each other so many times before, but this is different. This time, Sol isn't stiff and unyielding. Sol is soft, and just as caring as Ji-wan. Sol allows herself to enjoy the feel of Ji-wan close, lets herself notice how perfectly they fit together, like congruent elements of the same sculpture.

They stay like that, rocking slightly because of the swing, and whether it's a minute or ten, neither can tell. When they do break apart, Ji-wan rubs away real tears, and Sol has her own which threaten to spill.

"Let me walk you home," she says, because it feels like forever since they've done that. And it's simple, stupid really, but Sol misses it so much - those quiet moments with Ji-wan when it seems like it's only the two of them, alone with the night.

She stands, proffers her elbow as usual, because that's always how they walk. But Ji-wan takes her hand instead, laces their fingers together, and pulls herself off the swing. Sol gives her a questioning glance, but it's met only with a smile and a giggle. Sol feels like her heart is melting.

And she knows she's overthinking this, but she's been overthinking as long as she's known Ji-wan. She feels excited and electric, light, as though the breeze could lift her away. Because everything she never dared let herself dream feels like it's coming true, and she can't remember the number of times she thought about coming to this exact spot - this place where she fell in love with Ji-wan - and laying out her feelings in perfect stark words so there could be no mistaking them. But she's always been a coward. Ji-wan is the strong one, the brave one.

So they walk, and Ji-wan hangs off her elbow as usual, but this time their hands stay linked as well, and Sol is keenly aware of Ji-wan's fingers. Ji-wan's hands are so much softer than hers. Sol wonders if it's the long hours working in the studio, or just because Ji-wan takes better care of hers.

When they stop at a traffic light, Ji-wan leans against her and Sol looks down at their intertwined fingers with a smile.

"What are you thinking?"

And they laugh, because they are so in sync. This path is the same one they walk all the time, but tonight feels different, portentous. They are each buzzing with their own unvoiced thoughts.

"You first."
"You first."

More laughs.

The light changes then, and they cross the street, but Sol speaks up before they reach the other side. "I don't know what I ever did to deserve you, Seo Ji-wan." And she's supposed to have other words, all the lines she's played out in her head over the years, the ones she thought she'd never be able to say out loud, but right now her mind is blank. "I'm sorry."