Chapter 5

Sara took only one glance at the harrowing shape of her aunt's figure and tears gathered in her eyes. She suddenly felt nauseous, and a tight knot built in her throat, preventing her from breathing. Pepa's usually strong physique now looked so frail that Sara thought even the slightest breeze would make it shatter into pieces. Her eyes were hollow and like carved into her face. She was ghostly pale and for a moment Sara had to concentrate on the faint movement of Pepa's stomach to reassure herself that her aunt was actually breathing like any living being and not a walking dead.

The grocery bag she held went crashing down on the floor and she threw her arms around her aunt's waist, holding her up. She began to cry as she dearly held the lengthy brunette against her.

Lo siento, tia. Lo siento. Lo siento.

Pepa shivered at the contact of a warm and comforting body against her cold and dead one. Something snapped inside of her. She did not think she had any tears left. She had cried for so many days after Silvia's death. She had not stopped and thought she had used up a lifetime worth of them. And yet here they poured ever so freely...and it strangely was relieving. She was amazed at how her heart started beating fast again, her breath started to catch again in the back of her throat, how tears washed away the dryness of her skin...and of her heart. It felt good to somehow feel again.

*****

Don Lorenzo had come, as promised. He had parked the car a little down the street and sat inside, hesitating. He knew this was the right thing to do. He knew he owed this to his daughter in law, if not his own daughter. Paco had been right....

por mi santos cojones

...he hated having to even admit that. But yes, Paco had been right and he was wrong. But it was up to him to tell Pepa. At the news, she would probably pull her gun and shoot him in the face, just for letting her and Silvia go through so many weeks without each other.

Maybe I should unload her gun...

He did not think she would actually pull the trigger but....

well just in case....